The system freezes when connected to Wi-Fi

Hi, I have some problem, I have a Realtek rtl8821ce WIFI module installed in my laptop, for some reason, after a few minutes of connecting to WIFI, my system just freezes and nothing can be done, the mouse freezes, the monitor freezes. I installed the driver from AUR for rtl8821ce ( pikaur -S rtl8821ce-dkms-git), but nothing happened, the system still freezes.

Did you blacklist the built-in kernel module?

No, how can this be done?

Oh, well, I’ve already done everything that was said here before, but the problem has not been solved.

If you installed the AUR package, you need to install the headers for the kernel you’re using. Then you need to blacklist the kernel’s built-in driver for rtl8821ce because it is causing your freezes. Create a file in /etc/modprobe.d as root. You can name it whatever you want, as long as the filename ends in .conf

Add the following line to that file.

blacklist rtw88_8821ce

Then reboot.

Side note: your profile shows you’re still running kernel 5.13, which is no longer supported. I highly suggest switching to kernel 5.10 which is supported for several more years. Using an unsupported kernel opens your computer to security vulnerabilities.

Yes, I installed headers, but when added to the blacklist, the module is deactivated completely and Wi-Fi stops working and then I can’t search for networks, much less connect to them

Then I suspect you didn’t install the correct headers for your running kernel.

To install the headers, I used sudo pacman -Syu linux-headers dkms bc as stated on the github page

Manjaro offers linux-headers for several supported kernel versions. You need to choose the same version of linux-headers as you kernel.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.