The [Stable Update] 2021-06-14 prevent me from booting my system

I just did sudo pacman -Syy and then this:

[manjaro /]# sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                 169.1 KiB  3.75 MiB/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100%
 extra                                               1905.9 KiB  32.7 MiB/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100%
 community                                              6.6 MiB  50.6 MiB/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100%
 multilib                                             178.2 KiB  58.0 MiB/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100%
error: no targets specified (use -h for help)

Seems to have worked now with the

pamac install linux510

And now my system is back up and running as normal. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I deplore to say I have the same issue with the 4.19 kernel and latest stable update. Running the 4.14 kernel works.

Edit: And yay! this is the first 5.10 series that allows me to see the Plasma desktop … (for unknown reasons Plasma did not start with any Manjaro series 5 kernel, so that combination of kernel 5.10 and Plasma 5.21.5 does the trick on this machine).

1 Like

Seems 4.9 I can start in VirtualBox. So only 4.19 kernel series won’t boot with systemd v248. I also tested latest git version of systemd. Won’t boot either …

2 Likes

Any idea how to fix this without a live USB? I’m currently at a data center, thought I had my live USB in my backup, updated packages, and broke my laptop.

I can get to the command line, but the only network interface I seem to have is loopback. I wasn’t sure if I could bring up the enp0xxxxx interface that normally comes up, install 510 kernel, update packages, and reboot into the 510 kernel.

I was able to fix it, for some reason my ethernet kernel module wasn’t loading so I did the following:

• I was eventually dropped into a root shell, but had limited services and the only network interface was loopback
  • I had access to ethernet for my laptop so I plugged it in, still only loopback
  • Checked ethernet controller with
lspci -v | less

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I219-LM (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company EliteBook 840 G3
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 132
        Memory at e1200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
        Kernel modules: e1000e
  • I then checked to see if the module was loaded:
    dmesg | grep e1000e
    it was not. Add ethernet module to the kernel:
    modprobe e1000e
  • Next is setting up networking, which was a little different for me since I was at a datacenter, but basically using ip commands you’d do something like the following:
    ip link set dev eth0 up
    ip addr add 192.168.1.6/24 dev eth0
    ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth0
    Likely if you’re at home your gateway is your nameserver and if you’re at a datacenter or somewhere else, you’ll know what those are and their addresses
  • Last was following up above to install a newer kernel:
    mhwd-kernel -i linux510
    then double check packages with pacman:
    pacman -Syy
    and finally reboot:
    reboot

Hopefully this helps anyone else who gets stuck without a live USB

2 Likes

Hello,
I also run into this issue this morning. I have to use 4.19 and cannot use newer kernels as they randomly freeze/crash my system because of my Intel CPU. So I was happy that I could use 4.19 now for a long time.

The downgrade to 4.14 fixed the current issue. But I dont like the idea to have to switch even more older kernel now :frowning:

Wait for the fix coming probably sooner than later.

Thanks very much for helping me connect to the internet and update my kerne!

So, downgrade to 4.14 was no option for me. The issue mentioned in the thread here is solved with the downgrade. But I am using Docker and my docker containers are broken with 4.14. There is an issue about cgroup2, which demands that kernel is 4.15 minimum.

So, now I downgraded systemd from 248 to 247. And now I can use kernel 4.19 again.

We managed to find the change in systemd creating this regression. It turns out, that it rather fixes some issues and linux419 didn’t got the needed updates to match with that. So for now systemd 248.3-3 let boot you that kernel. We will monitor closely the upstream issue to see what the proper fix will be.

2 Likes

Have you considered it could be one of those patches applied to the manjaro kernel?

Looking at that issue report, the following patch sounds very suspicious in that respect:

edit
@philm

I can confirm it is the patch mentioned above which creates the trouble with systemd.
Just tested on a VM with a fresh compiled 4.19 without that patch and systemd 248.3-2

1 Like

Yep, the issue was that Aufs4 patch, which got added by mistake on 4.14.133-2 kernel. Thx to systemd we figured it out and it is now properly handled:

Will revert the changes made to systemd in unstable branch first. The proper fix will come with the next regular update.

1 Like

I am running linux419 and am trying to downgrade from systemd 248 to 247. I attempted to use pacman -U to downgrade to systemd 247.7 and the downgrade looks nomal, but on reboot “pacman -Q systemd” still returns systemd 248.

Does systemd need to be working to perform the downgrade? If so, what would be my workaround to get back to systemd 247? Thanks.

Tried to do the same,
pamac install downgrade,
in doing so, it automatically updated the systemd from 248.3-2 => 248.3-3, which may have solved this issue.
I realized this when I tried to actually downgrade systemd. Then reboot and it got fixed.

First of all: the issue is resolved and updated packages should be available in stable - there is no need to downgrade.
Second: “systemd” consists of 4 packages as far as I can see: systemd, lib32-systemd, systemd-libs and systemd-sysvcompat. You’d have to downgrade them all to the same version.

Thanks much! I did not know there were 4 packages I needed to downgrade.

I downgraded all 4 packages to systemd 247.7 and rebooted, then was able to upgrade to systemd 248.3. I appreciate the help.

Hi all, I gather the solution is the upgrade to systemd 248.3-3
I currently only have access to GRUB.
From Grub using: Cat /var/log/pacman.log
I know i am using manjaro(21.0.7) and kernel linux 4.19

1. how do i know what systemd i am currently running?
  2. How can i get into the shell to upgrade my systemd?

P.S. Still learning, apologies for lack of orientation to whatever is said.

Problem solved. Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.