The Menu Editor (menulibre) is not launching. What else can I try?

Hello all,

I am experiencing this issue on one of my Manjaro XFCE installs, and for the life of me can not seem to find a solution.

What happens: I right-click the whisker menu icon and then select ‘edit applications’. Nothing happens. I then try to just access the ‘Menu Editor’ application from the whisker menu, again nothing happens. Finally, I try to launch via the terminal and I get the following output;

$ menulibre

(menulibre:2281): Gtk-WARNING **: 01:02:54.253: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback ‘C’ locale.
Gtk-Message: 01:02:54.362: Failed to load module “colorreload-gtk-module”

(menulibre:2281): Gtk-WARNING **: 01:02:57.871: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkMenuButton

(menulibre:2281): Gtk-WARNING **: 01:02:58.055: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkMenuButton
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/menulibre/MenulibreApplication.py”, line 2217, in do_activate
self.win = MenulibreWindow(self, headerbar)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/menulibre/MenulibreApplication.py”, line 236, in init
self.configure_application_actions(builder)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/menulibre/MenulibreApplication.py”, line 390, in configure_application_actions
label=_(‘Add _Launcher…’),
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘locale’ codec can’t decode byte 0xe2 in position 13: decoding error

I have tried reinstalling the menulibre and python3.9 packages, but that does not seem to do it.

I see the warning about the ‘locale not supported’ but all my other systems are set up the same locale settings (Ireland). Likewise, I have gone into Manjaro settings manager and everything looks good.

Anybody has any suggestions to try? Thank you!

try alacarte menu editor, i think that’s what xfce use to use.

1 Like

Completely forgot about alacarte, has been years since I needed to use that.

Installed and is letting me edit the menu’s, thank you for that.

Will keep messing with menulibre, probably has to do with a config issue somewhere on this system versus the others.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.