The description of Manjaro on manjaro.org makes it seem like an Alpha release that is nowhere near completion

Hello.
I looked at the manjaro.org site, and I was quite shocked to read the introduction about what it is:

’ Manjaro Linux is a Linux Distribution based on Arch Linux. It is still under development, but an initial testing release is already available. Our aim is to create a light linux distribution, which is simple, up-to-date, fast and user friendly and which follows the K.I.S.S principle. We are using the Desktop Environment Xfce, which is light but powerfull.’

All caps for emphasis not shouting. :slight_smile:
STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT - sounds like a system that is not ready for use.
AN INITIAL TESTING RELEASE - what have I been using for the past years?

The download page make it sound like a disaster waiting to happen:

‘The LiveCD is out-of-date and updating can cause a breakage of the system! Please wait for the next release!’

Why is the package from 2011?

Again, caps for highlighting the text.
It’s OUT OF DATE and UPDATING THE SYSTEM CAN CAUSE BREAKAGE!

How can I recommend that to anyone?

If all of this intentional, then what’s the message to new people who visit manjaro.org? This is an out of date system that hasn’t been updated for 10 years and good luck breaking your computer. I nearly posted manjaro.org to groups on social media. Glad I didn’t. If this is a marketing thing, it’s a bad one. The home page must be for the current system. Changing URL’s for the main system page is confusing.

1 Like

Oh, so Back to 2021 is the proper site. Now you’ve got to keep Manjaro - enjoy the simplicity alive forever unless you redirect it later as people will have shared that 2021 URL instead of manjaro.org.

For people who have never watched a BttF film, they won’t know what it means.

Why not explicitly state that the home page is a 10-year anniversary page on the fake home page?

There is no fake homepage. The homepage is the one from 2011, as you can see here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110809045141/http://manjarolinux.org/

You also missed some news on twitter:

Some are even happy to do some time travel these days …

5 Likes

Yes, there was no mask requirement back then …

1 Like

No kidding. Even for someone who has seen the movies, it’s still odd to pull off this gag on the official URL.

I’d argue it should be the other way around. The official home page should be left alone, while providing a “10-year Anniversary!” button to celebrate the distro’s history and original web page.

4 Likes

The one from 10 years ago WAS the official one and is nothing odd about being promoted as official one more time.

We actually wanted a BIG CAKE, instead many went into pseudo sherlockian stance and showed us how confused they are, then also project how all people will be confused because … reasons, as if nobody can read that News button nor get what “Back to 2021” means … I’ll close this before is getting totally Elmer Fudd.