Thank You (Sway) Manjaro Developers!

Thank you for producing such a truly excellent distro. It has inspired me to finally spend the time to get sway/wayland working on my Nvidia RTX 2070. There are still glitches in some Xwayland apps (including the Steam interface and Gimp, the latter can be fixed by using the gimp-git from AUR), but everything else (especially 3D apps and games) works better than in Xorg. At this stage, all of the applications I need for my workflow are pretty much flawless.

FWIW, that last chunk in my .profile (see attached screenshot) is what allowed me to run Manjaro Sway on nvidia.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Do you think those flags should be added to the distro or will it fail for non Nvidia then? I have a Nvidia card in my p52s that isn’t causing any troubles, to I could at least test that it doesn’t degrade there.

No, I don’t think those flags should be used for non Nvidia users. I’m not too familiar with Calamares, but perhaps giving the user some kind of option during install might work? I also have no idea how those flags interact with the Nouveau drivers. FWIW, I installed Manjaro Sway from the repos over a Manjaro-i3 install.

If they make sense being added to something its probably mhwd or a standalone package.

@Jam
Please post your configuration in text mode - that way it is searchable.

This topic is a outstanding example on why the use of images should be limited - the information contained in the image is worthless without text.

Sure.

At least one of these is a duplicate (MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1).
The last one causes 3D Xwayland vulkan/ogl apps to fail, so it is commented out. But it does fix the glitches I mentioned in the first post in 2D Xwayland apps, such as mainline Gimp.
WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS should always be enabled (not just for VMs).
I have no idea if these settings work on Nouveau, but I have my doubts.

# Hardware cursors not yet working on wlroots
export WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1
# Set WLRoots renderer to Vulkan to avoid flickering
export WLR_RENDERER=vulkan
# General wayland environment variables
export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
export QT_WAYLAND_DISABLE_WINDOWDECORATION=1
# Firefox wayland environment variable
export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
export MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1
# OpenGL Variables