[Testing Update] 2024-08-26 - Kernels, Systemd, Firefox, LibreOffice, Pipewire

Hello community, here we have another set of package updates.

Current Promotions

• Find out all about our current Gaming Laptop the Hero with Manjaro pre-installed from Spain!
  • Protect your personal data, keep yourself safe with Surfshark VPN: Get 3 months extra

Recent News

Previous News
Finding information easier about Manjaro

Finding information easier about Manjaro always has been a topic that needed to be solved. With our new search we have put all Manjaro data accessible in one place and divided by sections so it makes it easier to digest: News – Manjaro

Notable Package Updates

Additional Info

Nvidia driver downgrade

Nvidia drivers got downgraded to 550.100, therefore update with sudo pacman -Syuu. If you want to stay on the 555 driver series you may either switch to unstable or install nvidia-dkms via: sudo pacman -U https://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/pool/overlay/nvidia-dkms-555.58.02-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst. More info about Nvidia drivers here:

555 release feedback & discussion - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums
550.78 release feedback & discussion thread - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Python 3.12 info

:information_source: You will need to rebuild any AUR Python packages that install files to site-packages or link to libpython3.11.so. :information_source:

Print a list of of packages that have files in /usr/lib/python3.11/ :

pacman -Qoq /usr/lib/python3.11/

Rebuild them all at once:*

pamac build $(pacman -Qoq /usr/lib/python3.11)

* Note that if any fail to build, you’ll have to rebuild what’s remaining one or a few at a time.

Use rebuild-detector to see if anything else needs to be rebuilt:

checkrebuild
Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcements topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

For help with AUR packages, please create a new topic in AUR and a helpful volunteer may be able to assist you.

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You can get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.320
  • linux54 5.4.282
  • linux510 5.10.224
  • linux515 5.15.165
  • linux61 6.1.106
  • linux66 6.6.47
  • linux69 6.9.12 [EOL]
  • linux610 6.10.6
  • linux611 6.11.0 rc4
  • linux61-rt 6.1.105_rt38
  • linux66-rt 6.6.44_rt39
  • linux69-rt 6.9_rt5
  • linux610-rt 6.10.2_rt14

Package Changes (Sun Aug 25 2024 11:54:16 GMT+0000)

• testing core x86_64: 9 new and 9 removed package(s)
  • testing multilib x86_64: 13 new and 14 removed package(s)
  • testing extra x86_64: 1097 new and 1058 removed package(s)

Overlay Changes

• testing core x86_64: 24 new and 24 removed package(s)
  • testing multilib x86_64: 2 new and 2 removed package(s)
  • testing extra x86_64: 131 new and 130 removed package(s)

A list of all package changes can be found here and here

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

1 Like

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

Note: Do not forget to review your .pacnew files:

:arrow_right: 2024-08-26

2024-08-04

pulseaudio-ctl requires pulseaudio and is not compatible with pipewire

If one is using PipeWire, one will need to remove pulseaudio-ctl if prompted during the update as it’s only compatible with pulseaudio

2024-06-03

:warning: Linux 6.9 is EOL

Linux 6.9 is EOL and will - at some point - be removed from the repo.

Suggestion is to install latest LTS to be sure

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux66

2024-07-14

Nvidia driver downgrade

Nvidia drivers got downgraded to 550.100, therefore update with sudo pacman -Syuu. If you want to stay on the 555 driver series you may either switch to unstable or install nvidia-dkms via: sudo pacman -U https://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/pool/overlay/nvidia-dkms-555.58.02-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst. More info about Nvidia drivers here:

555 release feedback & discussion - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums
550.78 release feedback & discussion thread - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

2024-07-01

The sshd service needs to be restarted after upgrading to openssh-9.8p1

2024-07-01 - Robin Candau

After upgrading to openssh-9.8p1, the existing SSH daemon will be unable to accept new connections (see Can't login after openssh 9.8p1-1 upgrade, MUST restart sshd (#5) · Issues · Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / openssh · GitLab).
When upgrading remote hosts, please make sure to restart the sshd service using systemctl try-restart sshd right after upgrading.

We are evaluating the possibility to automatically apply a restart of the sshd service on upgrade in a future release of the openssh-9.8p1 package.

Arch Linux - News: The sshd service needs to be restarted after upgrading to openssh-9.8p1

Previous testing threads:

Is Nvidia still in the timeout chair or has the newly-out-of-beta 560 series fixed some of the issues that were keeping it out of the testing branch?

We tend to ship production releases of the driver to testing and stable branches. See the current feedback on 560 here: 560 release feedback & discussion - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums. You can always switch branches to help testing 560.

Thanks; I’d already been following the 560 thread but wasn’t aware of the production / feature branch distinction. Does Nvidia promote specific generation releases (eg 550, 555, 560) from feature to production, or are we stuck waiting another month or two for an updated driver (565?) to make its way downstream into stable?

If I had any other brand of GPU I’d definitely consider switching from stable to testing, but Nvidia’s quality control process with these drivers has unfortunately made that too risky for me.

Nvidia simply distributes an installer for their driver. This is the latest. You can install it on most Linux distributions. Manjaro and other distributions however decide which version of those drivers we package into our repositories. However, you can uninstall those packages and go Windows-like by downloading the official installer from Nvidia directly: How do I find the correct GPU driver for my use-case? - Drivers - Linux, Windows, MacOS - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Check the forums of Nvidia and decide for yourself. If you want less hassle, get AMD GPUs.

1 Like

I guess I dont have any issues, but I just noticed that it seems like Plasma crashes/restarts a bit more often than usual lately(quite often right after login it restarts/reinitializes the panels etc).

I just ran pacman -Syu and got a surprisingly big upgrade list. So cool, testing has updated I guess. There was no announcement, but I shrugged and updated anyway (not necessarily a brilliant move, I know).

According to /etc/lsb-release it looks like I’m on unstable which I should not be. According to pacman-mirrors -G I am still on testing. Are the mirrors messed up?

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID="ManjaroLinux"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="24.1.0pre1"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="Xahea"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"
$ pacman-mirrors -G
testing

Getting error (09/07)

could not satisfy dependencies:
- unable to satisfy dependency 'kdesignerplugin' required by kdelibs4support

EDIT: Refreshed Databases, re-applied update, success. Also, yes, I did notice it is an AUR and, I think you know where I’m going with this —I had no idea what package(s) required it. :thinking:

Package: manjaro-release

Channel Version
testing 24.1.0pre1-1
unstable 24.1.0pre1-1

https://manjaristas.org/branch_compare?q=manjaro-release

Neither package are in the repos any longer. Apparently they were recent dropped to the AUR. Please create a new thread in AUR if you need more assistance.

1 Like

Sometimes there can be a delay between updates and the new Announcements post. I’m sure @philm will take care of it later on. He always does. :wink:

1 Like