[Testing Update] 2024-01-08 - Kernels, Systemd, Plymouth, AMDVLK, Phosh, Phoc, Qt5

2 posts were split to a new topic: Wifi problems on testing branch

Downgrading mesa did not solve the blank screen on similar hardware. Removing splash from grub achieved normal boot. However downgrading plymouth restored normal boot sequence with unedited grub.

1 Like

At Grub menu press E. On the line beginning with linux, remove “quiet” and “splash”, and put 3 at the end of that line. Hit F10 and it should boot to a TTY.

3 Likes

Indeed. This message was displayed after updating. I’ve just added it to the wiki post above:

Thanks so much for this. Oddly it appeared that I’d upgraded successfully—I’d just spent all afternoon on the computer (after the update and restart), but after cold booting just now I was met with the black screen no matter what.

After applying the change you mention, I tapped “F10 to boot,” was presented with the Kernel selection (chose 6.7), saw the verbose login then was met with my regular, Wayland login screen. :man_shrugging:t4:

To apply the Plymouth changes, this is new to me, might one run mkinitcpio -p linux or does /etc/mkinitcpio.d/ have to be edited directly? …or might a just downgrading Plymouth and wait for the next update suffice? Thanks.

1 Like

If I understand correctly that you are facing the issue with encrypted drive as discussed earlier, you need to do the following steps:

1. Open the config file: sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
  2. Scroll down to the line with hooks, which looks like this right now for you: HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont plymouth-encrypt resume filesystems"
  3. change it to plymouth and encrypt (the modules it is split up now). Should then look like this example: HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont plymouth encrypt resume filesystems"
  4. Update mkinitcpio: sudo mkinitcpio -p (as far as I know you do not have to enter linux, as it defaults to the present kernel)
  5. Reboot.

(Further information can be found at the Arch Wiki

2 Likes

sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS line reads as;

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont plymouth filesystems fsck"

On next reboot I’ll see if it chokes up again since I enabled verbose boot. —odd thing is that I’m pretty darned sure I didn’t encrypt

ups, it’s .conf I correct the post before. Sorry

I just downgraded plymouth and for the time being added plymouth to the IgnorePkg line in /etc/pacman.conf file. I haven’t had a chance to look at plymouth and why it is installed on my desktop computer. Plymouth is not installed on my laptop. If there is no reason for it maybe get rid of it.