[Testing Update] 2022-06-07 - Kernels, Mesa 22.1.1, Haskell, Perl, Python, Pamac

I got it working. Thanks for all your help.

Please leave the solution so that, if anyone else has the same problem, they can easily fix it.

2 Likes

I am not really sure what fixed it. I just re-updated the filesystem and then rebooted and it worked.

The restoration of /etc/locale.conf probably.

The current filesystem package restores the previously created /etc/locale.conf.pacsave (if that wasn’t fixed manually like laid out above) and informs about it while updating.
You should read update messages.

Ok, thanks.

after the update. My login screen becomes english but my locale and other software are all chinese

@Firestar Have you checked Manjaro Settings Manager > Locale Settings > Detailed Settings? Most likely all fields are empty. Adjust accordingly or use the method described in the announcement and reboot.
Your programs are correctly in your desired language because it’s set in User profile > System Settings > Regional Settings > Language / Formats.

You can see that on the post above, I only have one Language.

On the other hand, I changed zsh locale before by adding export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 to ~/.zshrc, I don’t know if it causes some bug.

SDDM is before you login to use user settings, so initially global system settings, as described should be in /etc/locale.conf or if empty a system default C.UTF-8

~/.zshrc is within your user profile, so shouldn’t matter from my point of view.
From ‘[HowTo] provided system information’ tutorial about terminal language:

1 Like

@Yochanan As mentioned before here I think MSM needs some adjustment with locale handling.
MSM does not take care of updating the following value in /etc/locale.conf

LANGUAGE=

When someone uses different locales for formats and display language and adjusting it with MSM can lead to the situation below where LANGUAGE= is not automatically updated according to the value set in LANG= :

cat /etc/locale.conf                                                                                                   ✔ 
LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8

In short it describes the issue mentioned by @Firestar where system language stays in English although maintained differently with MSM.
While it’s no problem to manually change nano /etc/locale.conf I think MSM should update both correctly.

Am I missing something?

1 Like

I had to revert locale.conf to settings from its pacsave file, because systemd-vconsole-setup kept failing to start otherwise. LANG=C is cool, but my locale is cooler :upside_down_face:

2 Likes