[Testing Update] 2021-11-13 - Kernel, Gnome 41.1, Xorg-Server 21.1, LxQt 1.0, Nvidia 470.86, Plasma 5.23.3

No I don’t use it I don’t know why I would have to force kernel parameters.

1 Like

For hardware acceleration with XWayland, mostly. See NVIDIA - ArchWiki

I was on the page right now, I was looking for reasons after my reply :smiley:

I cant play videogames after last update.
Some doesnt launch, some launch but when it comes to the gpu part it gets black so I have to force close the game.

In on optimus laptop intel haswel + nvidia 960m. It happens when running the same games on both cards.

Edit: Only happens on KDE Wayland session, it doesnt happen on Xorg session.

Yes, fixed - thank you very much @Yochanan .

I got the already known problem of graphical desktop not loading after this update.
In contrast to what is discussed here in this thread

at least on my rig, the cause is different:

[    19.436] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[    19.436] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[    19.436] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[    19.436] 	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[    19.436] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    19.437] ================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
[    19.437] This server has a video driver ABI version of 25.2 that this
driver does not officially support.  Please check
http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X
server with a supported driver ABI.
[    19.437] =================================================================
[    19.437] (EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check.
[    19.437] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
[    19.437] (II) Unloading nvidia
[    19.437] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (unknown error, 0)
[    19.437] (EE) No drivers available.
[    19.437] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[    19.437] (EE) no screens found(EE) 

What has to be done, is adding the following to /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "IgnoreABI" "1"
EndSection

This helps for now as the new X11 server is able to load the driver. Going forward, there has to be an update from Nvidia to their driver. Let’s keep fingers crossed that they will still do that for version 390 of the driver as well.

Okay thank you!

I asked because in the update process in the terminal he ask for use one or another

Replace xdg-desktop-portal-gtk with extra/xdg-desktop-portal-gnome? [Y/n]

So was no clue for dependencies between one or another.

Going to read about the dependencies of each one lo learn more.

Again, thank you :+1:

KDE Plasma seems to have a lot of bugs with this update.
I am using a 4K primary display and a FHD secondary.

Plasma on X11 had one really interesting bug where both displays overlapped each other even though in the settings they are clearly seperated:

Using Wayland with fractional scaling enabled for my primary display (125%) i have a lot of crashes using the taskbar on the bottom.
For example when i try to change the layout of the taskbar it always crashes the whole plasma desktop. The screen becomes all black and only the apps open can be used anymore.
Unfortunately i haven’t found out how to grab logs from the plasma shell. Maybe I should start a somewhat more stable X11 session and try it from there.

1 Like

Hmm checked in another machine and I get this with the 495 drivers… I think I’ll revert to 470 there for the time being.

dbus-daemon[440]: [system] Rejected: destination has a full message queue, 0 matched rules; type="error", sender="(unset)" ((bus)) interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" requested_reply="1" destination=":1.47" (uid=1000 pid=973 comm="/usr/bin/kwin_x11 ")

Someone has provided a temp workaround in the AUR AUR (en) - nvidia-fake-powerd

1 Like

The R340 drivers are end of life, if they stopped working now then it’s the end of the road. You need to either use Nouveau or get newer supported hardware.

1 Like

Nouveau is not working properlly on this computer and it will never cause it is too old and no-one wants to develop a driver for this kind of computer (GeForce GT 330M).
So I’ll stay on these old driver and previous version of Xorg until it dies :frowning:

And I cannot change the graphic board because it is a laptop (10 years old Samsung R580)

Unfortunately if nvidia drops support there’s not much manjaro can do. Even the nvidia all in the aur only goes as far back as 390

This might work from the aur though

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-340xx-dkms/

@olivier512 I saw in your profile that

CPU: Intel Core i3 M 330

while that CPU is never existed, one of the close model is the i3-330M and it has

Processor Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics for Previous Generation Intel® Processors
Displays Supported: 2

If the CPU model matches with you have may be you can switch to iGPU in you BIOS/UEFI settings. But double check all and read the notebook’s manual first. Also backup all your data and refresh LiveCD media before to switch just in case.

I assume you use the 390xx driver series, right? @DAC324

There’s no shame in using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which should support your GPU and do so for quite a long period…
It is all GNU/Linux after all.

1 Like

This is not a system with a discrete GPU. I cannot switch to an iGPU that doesn’t exist (hard invalidation not soft).

For the moment I prefer Manjaro. I switched to it 1 year ago and exept this problem with old hardware that is not supported anymore, I prefer Manjaro than Ubuntu.
Since 23 years on GNU/Linux I tried many different systems (1st was a slackware 7.0 on a 486 DX4 100 MHz :smiley: )

Indeed, I am using the 390 Nvidia driver. This driver, as well as version 340 is affected by this problem. According to information I got from elsewhere, at least 390 is supposed to be still supported by Nvidia until 2022. This might mean that Nvidia will update that driver to become compatible with ABI 25.2.

With KDE 5.23.2 version, I was used 1.1Go of memory ram by default. With KDE 5.23.3 version, I see that I’m using 600/700Mo of memory ram. Was there any optimization ?