[Testing Update] 2021-10-20 - Kernels, Haskell, Mesa, KDE Plasma 5.23.1, Pop-Cosmic

The same like in unstable:
From SDDM login to Plasma/wayland:
endless loop: black screen >> back to login

From SDDM login to Plasma/X11:
no problems

(VM system)

1. New KDE Kickoff bug:

Screenshot_20211021_110012

It stucks when I move the icons.

1. New KDE Plasma Desktop bug:

I use ThinkPad, I close the laptop lid down (which will close the screen but not lock it) and reopened it, and the desktop will blink and look like this. I need to refresh it.

Nice icon. Looks like a new KCM module :grin:

On first boot after the update, Plasma forgot the location of my three monitors, my one and only panel did not spawn, and I could not right click on the desktop on any monitor. But, executing reboot in a terminal fixed it. Once rebooted and logged in, my panel was there and I could rearrange my monitors to their proper location.

Otherwise, all good on my Nvidia + Wayland machine! I’m so impressed with how quickly all KDE contributors are making the Wayland experience so much smoother :smiley:

Does further reboot w/o updates preserves the monitor location settings?
If preserves, than update procedure triggered a partial settings reset, which could be planned by a package developers to fix possible lacks of newer version caused by leaving older settings values/settings structures.

I had a small hiccup, which I was able to fix. GTK3 apps were using the Breeze theme in a KDE Xorg session, but the Adwaita theme was being used in Wayland. I had to manually go in System Settings and change my GTK theme to Adwaita, then back to Breeze. Now it respects the setting.

EDIT: Google Chrome does not display window buttons correctly when using
--ozone-platform=wayland. Here is how the buttons look.

Here is how they look with --ozone-platform=x11. This is how they should look with Wayland also.

1 Like

MPV no longer gets window decorations in a Plasma Wayland session.

Edit: This is a strange quirk too. If I have fs=yes in my mpv.conf, it won’t get window decorations upon leaving full screen. Starting mpv with fs=no gives it window decorations.

Can’t still wake after sleep due to KDE(already updated to 5.23 in testing branch)…waking after sleep presents a black screen

Variety is totally freezing xorg when you right-click on its systray icon twice or more. Under wayland there’s no icon there. #plasma

/edit: workaround — create app’s shortcuts under kde’s settings till variety receives an update.

Workaround for wayland: kill the app first and then run it again. Its icon will be on systray and right-click will be functioning properly.

better to produce individual bug reports: it is easier to track if under-the-hood bug sources are different.
It is much easier to combine reports just by link mentioned in duplicates section, than to split one bug under-the-hood cause from another in single report of comment flow.

Please fill your individual bug report.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Wayland issues in Plasma 5.23 (Manjaro Testing)

When this release goes to stable update?

Plasma 5.23.1 is not ready for Stable branch. It has a couple of annoying bugs, like plasmashell crash when run on multi-monitor setup.
PS: I mean it might be a better choice to wait at least for 5.23.2 for now…

2 Likes

Could be an ideal post for Manrajo team if to provide a links to all bug reports you are talking about. That will make the team able to track all bug statuses and to decide when it is ready.

But I understood that your post dedicated to the answer on the question above it.

1 Like

In this case, of course, it’d be better to wait till next plasma release.
But what will Manjaro team decide to do?

1 Like

Sorry for the late response! Been unavailable for a bit, but your assumption is correct. Makes perfect sense to me :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to some of the coming features of Plasma 5.23.x… but as a multi-monitor user, I don’t want it any quicker than when it’s ready :wink:

1 Like

yesterday, plasma 5.23.2 in arch stable (today ? in unstable)

2 Likes

Oh my, I sense a testing update coming in pretty soon…