[Testing Update] 2021-09-11 - Kernels, LibreOffice, Browsers, Pamac, Pacman, Pipewire, Steam

Here is some reading about properly switching branches Switching Branches - Manjaro

Also when you have an issue with a kernel, try a LTS kernel (5.10 or 5.4) so the non LTS kernel issues are excluded.

Hi.
Yes I’ve already read it, I cannot se it describing how to get back a kernel from stable when running testing? I might switch back to stable later. 5.13.15 also locked up. So not sure it is a kernel thing at all.

The page explains how to change branch and has a dedicated paragraph specifically for how to get back to Stable.

And you won’t. That would be a partial update state and is not supported.
If you want to use the previously installed kernel package - use your package cache /var/cache/pacman/pkg.

A recipe for desaster. Please read:

1 Like

Does that mean that it’s also safe to remove systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=true from the kernel command line?

If you added such grub option to get rid of the error message
slice: Failed to migrate controller cgroups from /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service, ignoring: Permission denied, then yes: is safe to remove such entry. If you already had this entry for other reasons, don’t remove it.

Ah OK. I didn’t understand he wanted to be on Testing branch with kernel from Stable branch. I thought he wanted to go from Testing to Stable.

I downgraded back to stable but that did not help with the sound problem. I read that pulseaudio and pipewire sometimes don’t play well together and both was running (this is a fresh manjaro install). So I uninstalled pulseaudio but it did not help. I can only select some strange audio stuff from my geforce card but that does not seem to be connected to the laptop speakers. I tried to do the other way around, removing pipewire and installing pulseaudio instead but I gave up, so many dependencies… I wonder why sound broke in the first place, only thing I can think of is the .34 to .35 pipewire update but then I would have thought a downgrade back to stable would have fixed it…

Audio details
inxi -Aazy                                                                                                                                                  
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel alternate: snd_soc_skl,snd_sof_pci_intel_cnl bus-ID: 00:1f.3 
  chip-ID: 8086:a348 class-ID: 0403 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GL High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0fb9 class-ID: 0403 
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.14.2-1-MANJARO running: yes 
  Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.19 running: no 
  Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: no 
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.35 running: yes