[Testing Update] 2021-08-13 - Kernels, Mate 1.26.0, Thunderbird, Firefox, AMDVLK, Nvidia

It’s on X11

To rule out that the screen controls of your monitor do that, or a changed screen resolution:
I would boot from an install-medium with gnome and test wayland and x-11
if that is o.K. —> issue with ssdm (sorry, I run Gnome) - when a new created user account
will react the same way - its ssdm (afaik)
Any blur-filter activated?

I use Plasma. The actual desktop environment doesn’t suffer from anything like this. I do use blur for transparent windows.
Like I said earlier, SDDM also doesn’t look any different when I try to switch to another SDDM theme. Or if I change my whole desktop theme and try to sync it to SDDM.
I have the latest Plasma point release on a thumb drive, where SDDM looks just fine. Which is unsurprising, since it is older than what’s currently in the repos:

It’s seems as if all the colours for most elements and effects in SDDM are inverted for me after the update on the 6th :thinking:

Would that even matter, since you land in SDDM before you’re logged in? SDDM is pretty much a login and a lockscreen.

Edit: I just checked, and no -git packages have snuck into my system.

P.S.

Tried sddm-greeter --test-mode --theme /usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2, in case any of the output would be relevant.
[19:06:29.856] (II) GREETER: High-DPI autoscaling not Enabled
[19:06:29.908] (II) GREETER: Reading from "/usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop"
[19:06:29.910] (II) GREETER: Loading theme configuration from "/usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2/theme.conf"
[19:06:29.916] (EE) GREETER: Socket error:  "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
[19:06:29.963] (II) GREETER: Loading file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2/Main.qml...
[19:06:30.290] (WW) GREETER: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2/components/VirtualKeyboard.qml:23:1: Type InputPanel unavailable
[19:06:30.291] (WW) GREETER: qrc:/QtQuick/VirtualKeyboard/content/InputPanel.qml:127:5: Type Keyboard unavailable
[19:06:30.291] (WW) GREETER: qrc:/QtQuick/VirtualKeyboard/content/components/Keyboard.qml:38:1: module "QtQuick.VirtualKeyboard.Plugins" is not installed
[19:06:30.377] (WW) GREETER: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2/Main.qml:465:13: Unable to assign [undefined] to QUrl
[19:06:30.378] (II) GREETER: Adding view for "DP-0" QRect(0,0 2560x1440)
[19:06:30.382] (WW) GREETER: file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma/ToolButtonStyle.qml:31:12: QML QQuickItem: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
[19:06:30.382] (WW) GREETER: file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma/ToolButtonStyle.qml:31:12: QML QQuickItem: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
[19:06:30.386] (WW) GREETER: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/breath2/Main.qml:465:13: Unable to assign [undefined] to QUrl
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:406:376: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:407:130: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:408:130: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:408:393: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:409:130: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:410:129: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:411:129: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:412:129: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:413:129: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:413:379: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
[19:06:30.480] (WW) GREETER: <input>:413:631: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.

Progress! After switching to old Breath2Dark colour scheme in the settings, and syncing, my login screen is almost back to normal, with icons still being black against a dark background:

I swear I tried this before, but didn’t want to take hold until now…

My lock screen does have right colour icons now, however:

Odd thing is that test mode looks just perfect:

1 Like

i’m not on the Testing branch but i did install the Manjaro-KDE-settings package, and now i don’t have Yakuake on the panel after booting my pc like it used to be.
i have to first launch it.
so i changed it’s theme from Breath to Breeze and will see how it goes on the next boot.

For me, I did have manjaro-kde-settings installed on my laptop and an outdated version of that same package on the desktop, but strangely, all my settings including global shortcuts and skin were left intact. It’s just the welcome dialog, which I’ve never encountered even when I set up Manjaro for the first time on either computer, appeared on my end.

1 Like

If you have your session set to “restore last session”, then you may have to set that again. Was switched to “restore manually saved session” (or is that option new? :thinking: ) for me after the update.

1 Like

same

@Termy
in “when logging in” i have “restore manually saved session”.
i don’t remember seeing that before.
there is info about it in the help page.

Edit:
i don’t remember how i had it before,but i previously removed Yakuake from autostart since i didn’t want it to automatically open it’s window on startup, but i also prefer not have my latest session restored.

You can actually have Yakuake start up in the background by unchecking “Open window after program start” in the Behavior page of the Configure Yakuake dialog. I also highly recommend to check “Show system tray icon” so you don’t forget that it’s already running.

As for getting Yakuake to start up at login, you just add Yakuake to the autostart list in System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Autostart.

1 Like

i have the settings as you mentioned,and I’ll re-add it to autostart,
but i didn’t need to until a day or two when this started.
probably something changed in the Desktop session settings.

I Timeshifted back to before 6th of August update, and the login screen is normal again with white icons instead of black:

I’m going to do the updates again to see if it’ll be any different.

Edit: After doing the update again, the SDDM is now as it should be.
@LordTermor What was different this time around was that the system update didn’t change my theme to the new 2021 version after updating. Something in that had clearly messed my SDDM.
I have listed other things I’ve tried in my previous post in this thread.

Have you tried to change to 2021 this time? There was some oversight in Breath2 2021 dark Plasma theme that might caused this though it was fixed around a week or two ago.

I changed to the 2021 dark theme, synced it with SDDM, and the login screen still looks normal after reboot :slightly_smiling_face:
I just now got a notice that there are new updates for themes. I’ll see what happens after that.

1 Like

SDDM stays nice and consistent!

A bit of feedback on the new dark theme.
I’ve noticed that not all window elements change colour at the same time when the window loses focus.
Say I have System Settings open at Global Themes and have Dolphin next to it. If my active window is the System Settings and I switch to Dolphin, the System Settings titlebar dims right away, but all the elements inside the window dim with a fraction of a second delay. Same happens in Dolphin when switch back to System Settings. This doesn’t happen while using the older Breath2 dark colour scheme.

Also, a dimmer titlebar text was a nice indicator of an inactive window in Breath2, but this doesn’t happen with the 2021 theme. I tried to add this back myself, but have so far been unable to find the right setting to do it.

I’m pretty sure it’s upstream Breeze issue that just migrated to our theme along with new colors. Check Breeze.

It’s in colors, you can change every particular element’s color there.

Indeed, it happens with dark Breeze theme as well.

I know, I just cannot find the right setting :rofl:
Edit: Seems changing the colour of Inactive Titlebar Text does have an effect in Breath2Dark, but not in Breath2 2021 Dark :thinking:

Then we’ll wait for upstream fix and then will pull their solution. Old theme missed some pieces necessary now.

I’m having trouble with the nvidia driver update, it works when I remove it.
With the driver, my system boots to a black screen with a stuck cursor at the top left corner, before the GDM login kicks in I guess. I run a gtx 1070 (laptop) with Xorg on Gnome.

I’ve tried kernels 510 and 513, tried uninstalling then reinstalling drivers (procedure I followed) but nothing seems to fix it for me.
TTY is unavailable, all steps were done with a live usb and manjaro-chroot.

After having reinstalled the driver: Did you run sudo mkinitcpio -P before rebooting? If yes, were there any errors about kernel modules not being found?

Can you get hold of /var/log/Xorg.0.log when this error occurs? Perhaps this log can provide some more information.
Another possible interim solution: Kernel 5.4 is still supported. Can you try if it works with kernel 5.4?

Well, it’s embarassing… It took me 2 days to correctly read the systemctl logs and read that a line I added to my libinput config borked everything… Xorg could not start because of this.
False alert the driver is good and I’m a moron.