[Testing Update] 2021-06-08 - Kernels, Cinnamon 5.0, Gnome 40.2, Cutefish 0.2, Deepin, Firefox

Today Manjaro hardware detection update.

Summary

Synchronizing package databases…
Resolving dependencies…
Checking inter-conflicts…
Download of mhwd-db (0.6.5-8) started
Download of mhwd-db (0.6.5-8) finished
Checking keyring…
Checking integrity…
Loading packages files…
Checking file conflicts…
Checking available disk space…
Upgrading mhwd-db (0.6.5-7 → 0.6.5-8)…
==> Updating Config: ‘/var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-nvidia-430xx’
cp: cannot stat ‘/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-430xx/MHWDCONFIG’: No such file or directory
Transaction successfully finished.

Yeah, it seems the database files got restructured. My db was mostly empty after checking the directories post-update. This was fixed when I did an Nvidia drivers reinstall (MHWD didn’t see the existing driver as installed). I don’t know what would be the equivalent action for AMD.

1 Like

I also had this empty folder still existing on my computer, I deleted it (should not exists since past 6 month anymore).

1 Like

Good idea to check for orphans.
Here, I got

$ pacman -Qtdq
amf-headers
aribb25
dmd
electron6
ffnvcodec-headers
gendesk
gtest
gtksourceview3
jxrlib
mathjax
mujs
nasm
ocaml-ctypes
ocaml-findlib
optipng
python-apsw
python-cchardet
python-css-parser
python-dateutil
python-feedparser
python-html2text
python-mako
python-mechanize
python-protobuf
python-py7zr
python-pychm
python-pyqt5-webengine
python-recommonmark
python-regex
python-unrardll
python-zeroconf
python2-pytest-runner
rubberband
uchardet
vulkan-headers
xosd
yasm

Just remove both lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer and libcanberra-gstreamer, then redo the update.

Yeah not even that version of driver is the current.
And I do a new fresh install of the system about a month ago… so … I don’t know

My orphans

autoconf
automake
bison
fakeroot
flex
gestures
go
gtkspell3
libhandy0
make
meson
mlt
patch
sdl_net
sdl_sound
vala

Removing libcanberra-gstreamer and lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer, worked fine with pacman.
After that the update went through. After a reboot, the system ran
almost error free.
The only bug I noticed so far: Pamac reports in the taskbar that an update is available. After starting Pamac
the package mhwd-db is displayed. But it is already updated.

So nothing serious. Just some desinformation. I had this error several times. It went away after a subsequent update.

Otherwise, everything is good.

Ok, the thing with pamac and the misinformation, that there is still an update pending that has already been executed, has just been resolved. I just deleted some orphaned files with pacman. Then another system reboot. After that there was no more update message.
Pamac now says your system is up to date.

A few hours later, after using Steam, this bug occurred again. This time I first cleaned the hard disk with
“sudo pacman -Sc”, and then with bleachbit. Then another system reboot.
Even after restarting Steam, the bug did not occur again. So this time the bug was really resolved.
At least that’s my hope. Should it occur again, you will hear from me again.

Lastly, I cleaned up the system again, and did a fresh install of mhwd-db. Again, seemingly successful at first.
But this bug always returns hours or days later. Not resolved.

Two days later:
Performing the same action over and over, until finally a different result occurre, led to success. Have updated pacman-mirrors again, and then again mhwd-db.The bug was gone again.That was now already one and a half days ago. The bug did not return until now.
So it`s resolved.

It was probably due to one of the mirrors.

1. half of that list looks like package build dependencies (installed to build some aur package(s) and now not needed)
  2. that list isn’t relevant to this thread (or even in general)
1 Like

The question is: should I remove them and download again when is needed?

That’s entirely up to you. If you often (re)build AUR psckages which share build dependencies you might want to leave them.

1 Like

Thank you for your help :+1:

I have a monitor plugged in to my laptop, and if I don’t touch the computer at all for a minute or so, the monitor stops getting a signal, and needs a couple seconds to get the signal back and turn on again. This makes every window go on the laptop screen, and some of them (like fullscreen games) stay stuck there.

A post was split to a new topic: Vivaldi 4.0 will not open a new window

I agree, this can be annoying. But have a check of your power management settings. It should be possible to adjust these timeouts or to disable switching off the external monitor whatsoever.

I checked my power settings, and the screen should turn off after 15min, not after 1min.
I was able to keep the screen on with caffeine, I’ll see if I still have the issue going forward or not

i once had something similar - it helped to change the power setting times to something else and back to the desired value. Worth a try i guess ^^

For me,it was just the other way round: pamac did not show an available update for mhwd-db but yay did:

yay
:: Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
 core                               169,2 KiB  7,18 MiB/s 00:00 [----------------------------------] 100%
 extra                             1902,9 KiB  22,1 MiB/s 00:00 [----------------------------------] 100%
 community                            6,6 MiB  23,0 MiB/s 00:00 [----------------------------------] 100%
 multilib ist aktuell
 fman ist aktuell
 enlightenment ist aktuell
:: Starte vollständige Systemaktualisierung...
Löse Abhängigkeiten auf...
Suche nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen...

Pakete (2) manjaro-system-20210612-1  mhwd-db-0.6.5-9

Gesamtgröße des Downloads:           0,05 MiB
Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete:  0,03 MiB
Größendifferenz der Aktualisierung:  0,00 MiB

The install went through without any problems, I only noticed a lot of gpg keys being updated by the manjaro-system package. Other than that, nothing remarkable.

just had
Packages (3) systemd-248.3-3 systemd-libs-248.3-3 systemd-sysvcompat-248.3-3
pop up, updated with no issues.