[Testing Update] 2021-03-15 - KDE Frameworks, Gnome, Grub, VHBA-Modules, Python, Haskell

@kinghat Works fine for me on KDE, and pamac wasn’t part of this update.

compiz-easy-patch needs to be rebuilt against the new version of protobuf, as usual.

1 Like

maybe it’s because I have snaps enabled and they are down for the last few hours: https://status.snapcraft.io/

Anyone already testing 5.12-rc.3 kernel?

snap servers back up and everything is “snappy” again :grin:

The scale of texstudio broke after the update

Everything else seems to be fine, but if I use popup notifications for Spectacle, I get a plasmashell core dump when the popup tries to load a preview of the screenshot. Doesn’t matter which capturing method is used. Disabling popups for Spectacle avoids this. Opening up the Notifications widget after taking a shot shows the preview without issues.

1 Like

I experiment some trouble with Compiz since this Testing update.
Unable to open compig-config and I can’t select desktop with the panel plugin .
compiz-xfce-autostart-setup is blocked after “Load plugin animation”

[steph@Tour ~]$ compiz-xfce-autostart-setup 
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: ccp
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to load plugin: ccp
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: composite
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: opengl
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: opengl
Compiz (opengl) - Info: GLX_EXT_buffer_age is supported
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: decor
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: resize
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: place
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: move
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: compiztoolbox
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: staticswitcher
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: staticswitcher
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: expo
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: grid
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: regex
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: animation
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: animation

I did clean ~/cache/compiz-config-1 with no effect.

I am curious if the Nvidia driver 390 will be ported to kernel 5.12 as well. If yes, I’ll surely give it a try :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, this package currently fails to compile:

==> Starting build()...
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.12.0-1-MANJARO/build'
  CC [M]  /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.12/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.141-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.o
/home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.12/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.141-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.c: In function 'nv_drm_update_drm_driver_features':
/home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.12/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.141-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.c:767:38: error: 'drm_gem_dumb_destroy' undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean 'drm_mode_destroy'?
  767 |     nv_drm_driver.dumb_destroy     = drm_gem_dumb_destroy;
      |                                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |                                      drm_mode_destroy
/home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.12/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.141-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.c:767:38: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:271: /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.12/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.141-no-compat32/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1851: /home/gerd/Downloads/nvidia-390xx/5.12/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.141-no-compat32/kernel] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.12.0-1-MANJARO/build'
make: *** [Makefile:81: modules] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

Well, I’m using Nvidia 460 and so far so good.

can confirm and created a bug report: 434478 – kdeinit5 crashes when spectacle shows a notification

My graphics card, unfortunately, is too old to be supported by Nvidia 460.

However, I now managed to build the linux512-nvidia390xx package successfully and so I am able to run a 5.12 kernel. In the repo, there is linux512 5.12.rc3.d0314.g1e28eed-1 available which reports the following version in uname -r:

5.12.0-1-MANJARO

So far, no visible problems, only one error in the dmesg output:

[   13.224696] pool-evolution-[830]: segfault at 0 ip 00007feec2859709 sp 00007fee937fc800 error 4 in libc-2.33.so[7feec27f4000+14c000]

This seems to be related to the evolution e-mail program, and not the kernel itself. I just rebooted, and was not able to reproduce this issue.

You should inform yourself better and maybe read the PKGBUILD before you start telling such nonsense!

We’ll deal with requests immediately :wink:

There is now a patch for the kernel 5.12 and the extramodule nvidia390 is now available in unstable and testing.

Please test and briefly report whether it works.

3 Likes

Wow, that was really quick! Thanks a lot for your efforts. With the additional kernel-5.12.patch and the updated kernel-5.11.patch, the package builds flawlessly.

Just installed the newly-built package and rebooted. So far, no problems. Thank you once again, that is really great work!

Weirdly I never noticed a popup for Spectacle, but by reading the bug report I tested a different shortcut (not print screen key alone) to take a screenshot, I pressed Shift+Print Screen and it actually worked. It might have stuttered like 0.3 seconds to show the popups though.

//EDIT: clicking the notification icon itself afterwards though, creates a crash of the notification program, but the panel reloads itself after that.

Great! There’s nvidia-dkms which needs a fix to become usable with 5.12 as well. Could you please look into it?

nvidia-dkms is only for the 460 driver.

Yeah I know I mean now it fails to build for linux512 when that is being updated. No failure when being built for 5.11 and 5.10.