[Testing Update] 2020-12-31 - Kernels, Mesa, XFCE 4.16, Deepin, Haskell, Python

About manjaro-system update (20210101-2):

Got resolved with the next (3rd) build
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core                                                                                 168.6 KiB   191 KiB/s 00:01 [####################################################################] 100%
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Some packages should be upgraded first...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (1)          Old Version  New Version  Net Change  Download Size

core/manjaro-system  20210101-2   20210101-3     0.00 MiB       0.02 MiB

Total Download Size:   0.02 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.00 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 manjaro-system-20210101-3-any                                                         21.0 KiB  6.83 MiB/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                    [####################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                  [####################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                       [####################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                 [####################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                               [####################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) upgrading manjaro-system                                                                                    [####################################################################] 100%
==> Checking if graphic drivers need an update ...
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

That might be a good idea

That’s not ever going to work, I said mhwd force-install your drivers again, video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime in this case. :slight_smile: . If it wouldn’t work as a test you could install linux510-nvidia as a standalone, this would rebuild the kernel etc, etc. But as I said it’s always better to have the LTS at hand for any case, sometimes you 'll need to delete a kernel and feeling safe with the LTS.

1 Like

I must have skipped your driver section in your messages. I also kept getting error when trying to use force install, and I am guessing I am not writing the command exactly correct down… so I tried this method.

I get a nvidia-utils and nvidia-455xx-utils are in conflict when trying to force install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime

Oh well, I will force remove 455-utils and then reinstall (after backing up my system).

Doing sudo pacman -Rc nvidia-455xx-utils and then sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime solved my issue.
Don’t know why, but during the change, kwallet asked me for my password (never seen that before), then the splash screen after login stayed on for about 3 minutes, but I am running nvidia.

Might this work with GNOME??? I have had massive problems getting nvidia going on GNOME (following all the steps provided in the guide).

1 Like

If you mean optimus-manager running on gnome, the issue usually lies with GDM, and even the tweaked versions often doesn’t work correctly. However, if you stay on SDDM it may work, I think.

Just installed 3rd build. No more “comand failed to execute” on both pcs.
It still complained that it could not install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime on laptop, despite no install order being given and the package never having been installed (running optimus-manager).
Forced reinstallation of video-nvidia (followed by reinstalling latest manjaro-system build) appears to have fixed the weird errors, but still testing optimus-manager.

Manjaro changed the name of the packages and this creates this mess. It will be gone with time but so far we often have old named packages.

1 Like

Yeah, last time I was messing around with gnome, the gdm-prime didn’t seem to take. I don’t know if there should be X11 folder after installing optimus-manager and gdm-prime in gnome, but I know there was none in my case.

I am not familiar enough with linux to try to have sddm on gnome… but maybe that might work??

EDIT
After googling this, it seems pretty straight forward… so I might have a go on trying it out.

Yea, it seems to be trying to clean up the installation of the old named packages which are no longer there (removed them and installed the new versions when the rename happened).

This update is working well so far. I had an error about mhwdconfig after I switch from linux-nvidia-455xx, which is unregistered in Manjaro repo, to linux-nvidia driver manually from the previous update. So, I deleted that file. Also, I found out that I have bunch of mesa shader caches even though I’m using a single nvidia gpu. Is that normal?