[Testing Update] 2020-11-02 - Kernels, KDE-Git, Nvidia 455.38, Deepin, PulseAudio, Python, Haskell

i tried again and uninstall pipewire-pulse and pipewire-alsa and it’s working again

Also looking on the pipewire repository i found this:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/issues/356
Maybe it’s related.

Ah, I see. I only have the pipewire package installed.

Hello all,

with kernel 5.8 marked EOL

Does anybody know if the nVidia driver v.390 will be available for kernel 5.9 as well, i.e., will there be something like linux59-nvidia-390xx?

That would be great because my old rig equipped with a NVIDIA GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti] graphics card works fine, and I do not want to throw it away yet.

Hi,

Last testing updates work for me. Thanks Manjaro team.

There are still quite a few bugs with wayland under KDE. I reported a lot of these bugs. Wayland under KDE is not still ready to be set by default. I hope that Plasma 5.20.3 will give better support of wayland on KDE.

That’s an understatement. Wayland is pure garbage on KDE, especially with Nvidia.

2 Likes

Everything ok with a fresh install and immediately switched to testing branch :slight_smile:
But I’m having a couple of bugs or problems,
The first is a weird behavior on the client-side decorations on GTK applications, here is a gif:

And the second one is that I still have the old OSD’s on Plasma (when changing volume, brightness, etc.)

2 posts were split to a new topic: Several QT based applications refused to adopt “dark” themes

I just installed and sound good.

I actually got an issue, maybe from the last update or the previous ones.
My openVPN connection doesn’t work anymore on my main Plasma system - it times out, even when activated from nmtui.
It works on Windows with OpenVPN Connect client.
Last time I connected to the VPN was Oct. 21 two weeks ago.

It’s a shame. I’m using KDE on a 2-in-1 PC and wayland is more suitable for it. Especially for auto screen rotation support who is the best. It seems that Wayland must replace xorg in the futur (because xorg is very old), but for now, it is not yet the case.

Yeah everybody knows that, still it is garbage on KDE, especially with Nvidia :smiley: just the desktop itself is broken in many ways…

Workaround/solution for OpenVPN timing out is:
donwgrade openvpn (2.5.0-1 => 2.4.9-2).

1 Like

For a real solution wait for the reaction to this ticket on Arch Linux:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/68480

I deleted my post after reading the comments.

My bad :wink:

The version of pipewire 0.3.15 fixes the issues with pulseaudio. Now installing pipewire-pulse y pipewire-alsa the audio is working as normal.

i suppose you are a better knowhow (more than i for sure) can you please tell me the advantages of having the pipewire-pulse and pipewire-alsa installed besides being optional dependencies for main pipewire package.

I am also having sound issues with pipewire errors in the logs. Sometimes sound will work and then pulseaudio crashes and won’t have sound until I reboot.

I did find the following on the forums which seems to have helped (I don’t have NVIDIA, but still helped with PulseAudio):

But this seems to just be disabling the pipewire socket and not actually “fixing” the issue, but it has worked for me for a few hours. Pipewire 0.3.15 is not in the testing repo yet, but I’ll download from the Arch repos and see if I have any crashes with that version.

Definitely something to look into because I also had issues after pulseaudio crashing with videos and general system performance until I rebooted or at least signed out/back in. Was making my system generally frustrating to use.

Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread. Feel free (to the moderator) to delete this message.

Upgrading to Pipewire 0.3.15 seems to be working. Tested all night and still good this morning. This version is in the new Testing Update that was released 2020-11-06 as well.