Testers needed: Manjaro KDE massive cleanup/rename

I also don’t like the idea of having F12 occupied and that average user don’t even know what yakuake is it and why it could be needed. So it’s not only because of theming, it’s only one of them.

If Yakuake would be default, it influences people (beginners and average users) to get to know it and understand bit long what advantage it has, then they change their favorite of terminal. Like me, earlier I have also experienced.

Otherwise, if it was not default, they don’t know it at all if the drop-down-terminal exists. (They won’t support it)

1 Like

I noticed the User Accounts section has been removed, and while it was mostly a duplicate of the vanilla Plasma, it still provided a nice and easy way to view and manage Groups, and maybe I’ve overlooked it but I can’t find a way to do that now without needing to look up the commands and using a terminal. That to me seems like a regression since it was always easily done with a GUI (previously with KUser way back in kde3 days). That being said, I know it’s something most users would rarely need and it is a feature a rarely used but a it was certainly nice to have.

1 Like

it’s for all apps :wink: I want krita ! :rofl:

There is a duplicate of KDE system monitor:

• ksysguard
  • plasma-systemmonitor (new and more custom)

Which system monitor will be default? Or keep both?

See plasma-systemmonitor :

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/kde-25-years-anniversary-what-is-the-future-of-kde/82931/58

I uninstalled ksysguard without problem.

Check the latest sentence here:

Unfortunately ksysguard seems to be a dependency for some plasmoids still.

I have some idea to introduce “app sets” which will show you some predefined applications for a particular task/work. Like “Programming”, “Video Editing”, “Digital painting” etc. So yakuake could make it there. As well as Krita. But now we have more important things to fix.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot it could also be done using “Manjaro Settings Manager”.

Imagine a user have no Internet (…)

I guess a so physically limited person in his computer possible usage has other priority to check if Yakuake is here by default or not

an open-minded person should (…)

An really open-minded will install Yakuake if desired when not here by default, as an open-minded will remove it or simply not use use it when don’t need/want it

Not sure to understand this topic correctly?
Have the dev and Manjaro team nothing more essential than Yakuake or not Yakuake ?

I already removed it so yeah, now I’m moving forward. We’ll work on theme some time in the future.

Finally one hero take care about this MESS. :heart_decoration: Thank you

@LordTermor I miss some extras from Kubuntu like native built in Firewall applet (in Settings).

Cheers.

I installed native KDE firewall, but kdeconnect with my smartphone does not work in my own network because it may be blocked by this firewall. Nevertheless, I have never entered Firewall’s rule. Probably bug.

it’s not a bug it’s a feature. :wink:

Btw Kubuntu also has another cool thing available by default, and that is Backups configured right in System Settings. I am not sure what is used there, kup, bup or whatnot, and I use another tool anyway, but I can imagine a newbie searching for some backup tool similar to Windows so following Kubuntu in this regard could’ve been a move in the right direction.

We have Backery project in progress.

5 Likes

The same here. By looking at the KDE website I got the name (new KDE user). At least we talk about 400 KB… It comes with KDE therefore, for Vanilla KDE experience keep it. Window terminals are well known.

Btw: Terminals are more essential than painting. I hope there will be a coming back.

I’d suggest we get rid entirely of the breath theme for kde installations. It is easier to ship breeze with a custom set of colours instead, highlighting manjaro favourite hues.

For now it’s not as we still need to provide our own colorschemes. Plasma theme also a thing where we need a bit more freedom as we have custom icons and some other stuff there. But we will get rid of all things that are effectively duplicate Plasma functionality eventually.

Thanks to @bogdancovaciu we now have a new decently looking theme for Yakuake based on Breeze V2.

Now I have one problem left: which shortcut we should use instead of F12 as F12 is used along the apps (like browser dev tools). After we will find a good alternative, I’ll return yakuake back. Do you have any ideas?

4 Likes

In Chromium, the developer tools are invoked with Ctrl+Shift+I. I don’t know how it is done in Firefox, but I don’t know any other application that uses F12 for anything.

F12 has always been the KDE-default shortcut for opening Yakuake, and it’s what every other distribution uses for that as well, so why change it? :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Because most other distros don’t provide yakuake installed and configured by default…