Testers needed: Manjaro KDE massive cleanup/rename

and replace spectacle by flameshot ?? for me, it doesn’t make sense and it’s the beginning to replace kde applications by others. it’s no longer kde but a respin

9 Likes

Well this decision is purely made because of Arch packaging and if qt5-tools would be separated to cli/libs and GUI I won’t even think of this.

2 Likes

You cannot uninstall Yakuake!? :scream: I love it to have it :sob:

And as someone wrote: THIS is vanilla KDE. :grinning:

4 Likes

It is okay if you do a lot of stuff by the terminal. But I (and maybe lot of people here) loves to have a quick opening terminal there they put one-liners in in the rare case of using. I miss it in Cinnamon.

That’s the freedom of Linux to configure regarding your needs.

3 Likes

I heard you. Will look into getting some decent yakuake theme.

7 Likes

So … because you dont use terminal much you need a constantly running one?
Seems counterintuitive.

And this freedom you speak of … it also means you can install yakuake if you wish.
I always remove it :woman_shrugging:

While I do not like `yakuake` I tried to understand others

It is OK, everybody has their habits.
While I do not like yakuake I tried to understand others.
And what I got:

1. terminal usage is not frequent, so no need to split window or to execute another terminal window.
  2. executed commands has highly predicable output, so no need terminal windows to be full-size to read/inspect all content.
  3. it is a habit of to have it: it is a tool which is well-known by the user (I meant such app users) and I also like the slide animation of it, it brings “life” (look, look, it’s moving towards and backwards and again towards!..) and adds something new/non-ordinary/cool behavior into ordinary DE effects. Animations/aliveness are “semi-games”/toys to pleasantly interact with.

So it could be not the CPU/RAM consumption related - users may be ok with consumption of that resources.

1 Like

Going OT on yakuake, but I’d like to respond to some points made:

I’m using the terminal 90% of my time at work and still prefer yakuake.

yakuake can split windows and have multiple terminal windows (ctrl+shift+t) just the same as konsole. Most of the time I have no less than 6 terminals opened in yakuake.

It even has a keyboard shortcuts to quickly adjust size (alt+shift+up/down/left/right) or for fullscreen (ctrl+shift+f11)

6 Likes

I use tabs for this.
I’d say my CLI-GUI use is around 50-50.
Yakuake might not be necessary to be there in a default install, but a matching theme would be nice. If only you didn’t need to rely on .svg files to create one…

I have 90% konsole open so yakuake would be a duplicate for me, yakuake is the same as konsole, but that it’s positioned on top is for me more a constraint than an advantage.

The question is: The current user manjaro often use terminal? In my opinion very rarely so yakuake doesn’t have to be launched by default

1 Like

I prefer using the drop-down terminal (yakuake for KDE, ddterm for Gnome wayland) more than the window-terminal, because It is quick to open or hide by pressing F12.

4 Likes

I configured konsole to open by F12 and it can be closed by Ctrl+D, which is also fast.

Hm, but exit by 2 fingers only or to type 4 chars command.
“I vote” to save the yakuake to meet requirements of existing users and to make distro be more user-friendly for people with disabilities.

How do you quickly find the specific window-terminal konsole in Desktop with many windows? I mean without creating a new konsole by pressing F12.

The existing drop-down terminal is independent from Desktop view and displays by F12 without creating new terminal.

3 Likes

The question with Yakuake isn’t whether or not it should be available to install but whether or not it should be installed by default. Its usefulness for advanced users doesn’t matter for that.
Most users don’t need a terminal constantly running in the background, especially not new ones.

9 Likes

I use Yakuake and I love it, but I am absolutely sure that it shouldn’t be pre-installed by default. Those who need it will just voluntarily install it.

2 Likes

Let me try to “unsure” you back by welcoming into non-ideal world:

Imagine a user have no Internet (physical location issue, provider issue, network hardware issue, network drivers issue, kernel issue, etc.) but a user want to do only local actions on PC (w/o Internet) may be with already existing PC, storage, etc.
or
they connected a portable device (USB/Bluetooth tethering) and share Internet connection, which could be limited by:
-) traffic (so no more per day or pay more);
-) speed (takes too much time to download);
-) unstable connection with provider: frequent breakdowns/connection close issues;
-) local government policy (censorship): to block all democratic and social processes including development, so many hosts are blocked;
-) etc.

And may be we need to save traffic/speed to more payload user data.

~/Desktop ❯ pacman -Si yakuake | grep -i "download"   
Download Size   : 409.27 KiB

By removing it we could partially cut a user auditory.

an open-minded person should forget absolute/extreme/peak words forever for unknown period :slight_smile:
the more we developing the more we doubt in absolutism of any point of view.

Also for people with disabilities, who can type 10-12 symbols/minute max., it could be just another wall they need to break also.

The word ‘should’ itself in such a context denotes a totality of judgement :exploding_head:

1 Like

So open-minded person cannot be absolutely sure, period? Like water is wet or not? Or that bonfire is hot? Maybe you wanted to say what I actually should or shouldn’t do, but that’s even worse as it has no relation to being open-minded and sounds a bit impertinent. Being open-minded means, among other interpretations, being able to look at smth from different points of view, that’s what I often try to do.
Anyway, I’m talking about facts, and the fact is: having 2 or more apps with pretty much the same functionality by default will most likely embarrass novice user. Especially a terminal emulator: some noob might have no idea what’s it for, and here we are, welcoming him/her with 2 emulators. What such user should think? Maybe this terminal does one thing, and another does something else?

For what it’s worth, please don’t remove yakuake by default. Many people don’t even know there can be such a thing as a drop down terminal, coming from other DEs. For them it can be a happy discovery( It was for me and now I can’t live without it). Those who are bothered by it, can always remove it. It’s not super intrusive enough that new users would be bothered by it.

10 Likes

For me, this began as “yakuake-theming getting dropped”:

But since has been resolved:

If its theming is matching the overall look and feel of Manjaro (new Breath) theming so it doesn’t stick out, then all is well.

1 Like