Testers needed: Manjaro KDE massive cleanup/rename

Btw Kubuntu also has another cool thing available by default, and that is Backups configured right in System Settings. I am not sure what is used there, kup, bup or whatnot, and I use another tool anyway, but I can imagine a newbie searching for some backup tool similar to Windows so following Kubuntu in this regard could’ve been a move in the right direction.

We have Backery project in progress.

5 Likes

The same here. By looking at the KDE website I got the name (new KDE user). At least we talk about 400 KB… It comes with KDE therefore, for Vanilla KDE experience keep it. Window terminals are well known.

Btw: Terminals are more essential than painting. I hope there will be a coming back.

I’d suggest we get rid entirely of the breath theme for kde installations. It is easier to ship breeze with a custom set of colours instead, highlighting manjaro favourite hues.

For now it’s not as we still need to provide our own colorschemes. Plasma theme also a thing where we need a bit more freedom as we have custom icons and some other stuff there. But we will get rid of all things that are effectively duplicate Plasma functionality eventually.

Thanks to @bogdancovaciu we now have a new decently looking theme for Yakuake based on Breeze V2.

Now I have one problem left: which shortcut we should use instead of F12 as F12 is used along the apps (like browser dev tools). After we will find a good alternative, I’ll return yakuake back. Do you have any ideas?

4 Likes

In Chromium, the developer tools are invoked with Ctrl+Shift+I. I don’t know how it is done in Firefox, but I don’t know any other application that uses F12 for anything.

F12 has always been the KDE-default shortcut for opening Yakuake, and it’s what every other distribution uses for that as well, so why change it? :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Because most other distros don’t provide yakuake installed and configured by default…

Um, many do, actually, albeit without any specific theming applied. But that’s irrelevant anyway.

(Note: I myself don’t use any of the Manjaro theming, except for the default Manjaro GRUB theme and the default Manjaro SDDM theme. But that too is irrelevant.)

1 Like

Yakuake asks for it’s key on startup. On Manjaro it’s skipped to not to annoy users as it’s started by default.

1 Like

So, just keep it at F12 then. If the user wants to change that later, then nothing’s preventing them from doing so. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I propose we make a public vote (like the one included in every release announcement) to help decide if we should include Yakuake in the default installation.

It is very useful but I’m not convinced it’s a good thing to have two different terminal emulators installed by default.

I think @LordTermor said he would bring yakuake back.

Technically it’s one. Yakuake is just a skin for Konsole.

1 Like

Not only that, but there already are other terminal emulators installed, which I believe would come supplied with X.Org.

On my system here, I’ve got xterm and uxterm installed, and I sure didn’t install those myself.

1 Like

Is there a Breeze/Breath GTK Theme for Plasma?

Just got this screen after an update. Is it an upstream change or did @LordTermor did it? Whoever did this, it’s a nice touch, good job! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I removed skipping a first setup from config.

Breeze-gtk is in the repo, the breath theme is already installed

1 Like

In new images (post-21.1) breeze-gtk is installed by default.

1 Like