Telegram crashes on voice message recording

Release 21.0.4 on Gnome broke my Telegram app.
Now it crashes on voice message recording (yet works fine overall)

Logs or it didn’t happen. :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s the output running telegram-desktop from the terminal?

When pasting terminal output, highlight it and use the Preformatted text </> button.
Alternatively, add three backticks ` above and below the text:

```
text
```

Works great on the snpshot of previous build.

(telegram-desktop:4587): lib_base-WARNING **: 00:54:50.169: Unfortunately, GTK integration conflicts with qgtk2 platformtheme and style. Therefore, QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME and QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE will be unset.
lib_base-Message: 00:54:50.170: This can be ignored by setting DESKTOP_APP_I_KNOW_ABOUT_GTK_INCOMPATIBILITY environment variable to any value, however, if qgtk2 theme or style is used, this will lead to a crash.
lib_base-Message: 00:54:50.170: GTK integration can be disabled by setting DESKTOP_APP_DISABLE_GTK_INTEGRATION to any value. Keep in mind that this will lead to some features being unavailable.

(telegram-desktop:4587): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:54:50.184: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:4:112: Failed to import: Error opening file /home/lds/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/no-title-bar@franglais125.gmail.com/stylesheet.css: No such file or directory

(telegram-desktop:4587): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:54:50.184: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5:118: Failed to import: Error opening file /home/lds/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/no-title-bar@franglais125.gmail.com/stylesheet-tiled.css: No such file or directory

(telegram-desktop:4587): Telegram-WARNING **: 00:54:50.212: Application was built without embedded fonts, this may lead to font issues.
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
error: : cannot open
qt.svg: Error while inflating gzip file: SVG format check failed
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
[1]    4587 segmentation fault (core dumped)  telegram-desktop

The same thing happened to me and the solution was to uninstall Telegram, download it from your site to my / home.
Then unzip it, open the “Telegram” folder and run from there.

Where it says: ‘download it from your site’, it should say: ‘download from the official Telegram site’
telegram org/dl/desktop/linux

Maybe something to do with the No Title Bar extension? Try disabling it and try again. Might need to log out / log in after disabling it.

Who’s site, now? :thinking: Do you mean from Telegram’s site?

That wouldn’t work if you downloaded the pkg.tar.zst from “our site” as in a mirror.

85 / 5000

Yes, from the official Telegram site. Sorry for the bad translation, I don’t speak English.

I don’t have this extension for a long time. Anyway it’s just a warning, not an error.

Overall there are just 2 lines after the crash:

[1]    35914 segmentation fault (core dumped)  telegram-desktop

Others are harmless and appear on startup

I’m using Xorg by the way

Well, then apparently there’s leftover files in /home/lds/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/no-title-bar@franglais125.gmail.com/. I would remove the no-title-bar@franglais125.gmail.com folder manually if you no longer have the extension installed.

Mostly, yes. However, I don’t receive this error:

this folder is not here, that’s why there is a warning.
Anyway, I’ve installed the extension, warnings are gone, yet errors are still there.

reinstalled telegram, removed config files, same story

Ok, seems like we got an official bug here
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/70624?string=recording+telegram&project=5&type[0]=&sev[0]=&pri[0]=&due[0]=&reported[0]=&cat[0]=&status[0]=open&percent[0]=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=

2 Likes

here too

I have same bug.
I used this workaround as well, but sadly it doesn’t integrate well with KDE (i.e. share with telegram missing from context menu of a screenshot), more than once crashes at reboot of pc (if you launch it automatically).
The app from distro repo is always a better choice when available, in my modest opinion.

Update
I just installed the version from the AUR as suggested in the link by @dluganskiy and it works, plus it keeps the integration with the plasma system as it should. Thank you.