Taskbar Panel missing after Restart

Hi there,

I wish to seek help with this weird issue:

• after Restart, the taskbar panel goes missing
  • and if I were to restart again, the problem persists

It is only resolved when I opt for “Shut Down”, and then boot up again.
Not sure why there is this difference in behavior of the taskbar panel between “Shut Down” + Boot-up and “Restart”.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions / guidance to fix this.

(additional info:
KDE plasma version: 5.21.5
KDE frameworks version: 5.82.0
Qt version: 5.15.2
Kernel version: 5.10.42-1-MANJARO
OS type: 64-bit
Graphics platform: X11)

Does this also happen when you log into a newly created user (E.G. jnjn2)?

:thinking:

Hi Fabby, thank you for the suggestion! I have just restarted again on my main account and there isn’t this problem anymore (not disappearance of the taskbar panel). Perhaps the previous times were due to improper forced shutdowns, and I have learnt how to use REISUB instead (thanks to your guide!)

Thank you Fabby again, and hope you have a great weekend

1 Like

So you have an issue in your user profile and finding out which exact setting you changed is going to take weeks if not months, therefore, we’re going to do the following:

• Verify that the new user has access to the same groups as your old one by executing groups and comparing the output of both users.

groups jnjn
    groups jnjn2

(Where obviously, jnjn is your old user and jnjn2 is your new one.)
    E.G. if jnjn is a member of operator and jnjn2 isn’t, execute:

usermod --append --groups operator jnjn2

• Copy all data files from your old profile into your new one

cp --verbose --recursive --preserve=time-stamps /home/jnjn/Documents/* /home/jnjn2/Documents/

If that worked and you had no errors, remove the documents from your old user:

rm --recursive /home/jnjn/Documents/*

repeat for:

• Pictures
    • Videos
    • Music
    • .thunderbird
    • .mozilla/firefox/
    • Templates, and everything else that is important to you.
    • Linux games like Battle of Wesnoth have their game data stored under ~/.local/share/ E.G. ~/.local/share/wesnoth/

After everything has been copied over, disable the old user so you cannot accidentally log on:

usermod --lock jnjn

If you would have theming going on, don’t do everything in one day but do this at the rate of 1 application / theme / whatever per day and if the same issue crops up again, roll back your last change and thus you’ve now pinpointed the exact setting that made your old user misbehave. :thinking:

• in 1 month delete the entire home directory of your old user, but don’t delete the user itself so that in 6 months time files still owned by that user will still show up under its username.

• If you ever migrate to a new machine, just don’t migrate the old user: only the new one.

• From now on, start making backups so you can roll back and never have to do this again:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.