Systemsettings5 is broken

I’m not sure what to do - after changing some things around, for some reason the settings are messed up - I wanted to switch from Breeze to Lightly but I can’t select the Application Style tab now.

❯ systemsettings5 kcm_style
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kwindecoration: The shared library was not found."
Using fontconfig file: "/home/ben/.fonts.conf"
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kwin_effects: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kwin_virtualdesktops: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_screenlocker: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kwinrules: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kaccounts: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from plasma/kcms/systemsettings_qwidgets/kcm_smb: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kscreen: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_pulseaudio: The shared library was not found."
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/PlaceholderMessage.qml:235:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/BasicListItem.qml:273:18: QML QQuickItem*: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/BasicListItem.qml:273:18: QML QQuickItem*: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
kf.coreaddons.desktopparser: Error: Failed to open  ""
QFileDevice::seek: IODevice is not open
QQmlEngine::setContextForObject(): Object already has a QQmlContext
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/PlaceholderMessage.qml:235:5: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_style/contents/ui/main.qml:38:13: QML ColumnLayout: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
Qt Quick Layouts: Detected recursive rearrange. Aborting after two iterations.
Qt Quick Layouts: Detected recursive rearrange. Aborting after two iterations.
qml: The item SubCategoryPage_QMLTYPE_114(0x55884892bdb0) is already in the PageRow
Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (5.15.4) with this library (5.15.5)
zsh: IOT instruction (core dumped)  systemsettings5 kcm_style

There are a fair few warnings just launching settings - so I’ll include them (as some aren’t so critical, I didn’t check before this issue - some might be quite normal).

❯ systemsettings5

kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kwindecoration: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kwin_effects: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kwin_virtualdesktops: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_screenlocker: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kwinrules: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kaccounts: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from plasma/kcms/systemsettings_qwidgets/kcm_smb: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_kscreen: The shared library was not found."
kf.coreaddons: "Could not load plugin from kcm_pulseaudio: The shared library was not found."

The difference doesn’t give me much of an idea… I previously assumed removing some .local or .config might help - but test user has the same issue, so something needs refreshing/reinstalling maybe.

The issue persists after creating a new user - so I’m wondering if there’s any better solution than starting fresh with a new installation, which would be rather a lot of work.

I can not reproduce this issue.

When is systemsettings5 broken?
Did you upgrade KDE plasma 5.24 to 5.25 then back to old 5.24?

The outputs from the terminal suggests coding which references a deprecated library and by first impression also bad coding - the binding loops.

This suggest the theme you played with has errors.

What if you try removing the kirigami* packages and related on your system?

Make a note of the packages and eventually reinstalling them?

Edit: That suggestion may not be as easy as I first thought.

My system is a built from ground-up Plasma - kirigami2 is a dependency of plasma framework - but the the addons package and the gallery package is not.

Ouch - I would probably not have jumped back - Plasma is less than ideal in such case.

I jumped on unstable, then back to stable and it was a mess…

So I did a fresh install and tried restoring, but there’s some issues with the snapshots.

But actually I think maybe I have to go with a fresh install again and build it up manually over a few days.

I should have taken a serious image backup before jumping, afterwards I found my music (Guayadeque) broken, as well as Plex-htpc (which is broken now by the Stable update).

Did you restore two snapshots (home and root)? Then you can take back your current data from the broken snapshots.

Remember, if you want to test unstable branch, you should use VM.

Lightly’s last release on GitHub is over a year old. Not sure if it’s a good idea to use it on new plasma (although Nic was mentioning it.)
Did you try to remove it completely again?

4 aur/lightly-qt 0.4.1-1 [+8 ~0.50]
A modern style for qt applications

Sure, I purged that - but still no joy.
Also, issue persists with new TEST user.

I think the issue in ‘testing’ which started the problem was Replace wxgtk-common with extra/wxwidgets-common?

It’s the wxwidgets which are a dependency for Guayadeque, and that isn’t getting much maintenance now - and there’s nothing else that can replace it.

Now an attempted upgrade to ‘testing’ also fails:

Summary
error: linux518: signature from "Manjaro Build Server <build@manjaro.org>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux518-5.18.12-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] 
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

0.4.1 is from 02/2021

It’s also available on KDE online Store.

Lightly-qt is up and running, thank you.

As I was drinking my tea, I could sea ‘places’ popping up in Dolphin. Hmmm Terminals are ok, but still quite a bit to do - force blur for Kitty terminal etc (happily, Ranger setup with previews is just a matter of copying from /home).

Lots of bits and bobs to install as we go - zoxide is on, history of last week’s terminal comes up no problems…

Now there’s plex, jackett, overseerr etc etc.

However, it’s all looking good.

systemsettings5 is still messy in terminal though…

❯ systemsettings5
kf.service.services: KApplicationTrader: mimeType "x-scheme-handler/mailto" not found
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls.2/org.kde.desktop/ScrollView.qml:86:25: QML ScrollBar: Binding loop detected for property "visible"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls.2/org.kde.desktop/ScrollView.qml:86:25: QML ScrollBar: Binding loop detected for property "visible"
qml: The item SubCategoryPage_QMLTYPE_78(0x55c3e62dbff0) is already in the PageRow
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_style/contents/ui/main.qml:38:13: QML ColumnLayout: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
qml: The item SubCategoryPage_QMLTYPE_78(0x55c3e62dbff0) is already in the PageRow
QLayout::removeWidget: Cannot remove a null widget.

Try to clean cache

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE#Clean_cache_to_resolve_upgrade_problems

I see, it was unrelated. My bad :pensive:, I thought you just installed it.

You had this above, but that seems solved now for kcm_style.

Not able to reproduce it on my side with unstable branch. Could it be that you need to rebuild Lightly as an AUR package, which is now part of systemssettings, because of Qt upgrade?

1 Like
systemsettings5                                                                                                            ✔ 
Using fontconfig file: "/home/user/.fonts.conf"

It happens when you have toggled on Highlight Changed Settings at the bottom left of System Settings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.