Systemsettings cannot get current location

This is a translation of https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-kde/110567

Night mode on Manjaro KDE doesn’t seem to work depending on geographic location

I installed gpsd(which in the past is by default in minimum ISO) but it still not working

file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_nightcolor/contents/ui/main.qml:42: TypeError: Cannot call method 'destroy' of undefined
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_nightcolor/contents/ui/main.qml:227: TypeError: Cannot read property 'latitude' of undefined
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_nightcolor/contents/ui/main.qml:345: TypeError: Cannot read property 'longitude' of undefined
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_nightcolor/contents/ui/main.qml:344: TypeError: Cannot read property 'latitude' of undefined
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ApplicationItem.qml:151:9: QML Shortcut: Shortcut: Only binding to one of multiple key bindings associated with 13. Use 'sequences: [ <key> ]' to bind to all of them.
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ApplicationItem.qml:147:9: QML Shortcut: Shortcut: Only binding to one of multiple key bindings associated with 14. Use 'sequences: [ <key> ]' to bind to all of them.
qml: The item SubCategoryPage_QMLTYPE_78(0x55efdcfd7920) is already in the PageRow
org.kde.plasma.dataengine.geolocation: gpsd not found
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_nightcolor/contents/ui/main.qml:223:13: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property "verticalAlignment"
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_nightcolor/contents/ui/main.qml:87:9: QML FormLayout (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "preferredHeight"
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_nightcolor/contents/ui/main.qml:344: TypeError: Cannot read property 'latitude' of null
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_nightcolor/contents/ui/main.qml:345: TypeError: Cannot read property 'longitude' of null
file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_nightcolor/contents/ui/main.qml:227: TypeError: Cannot read property 'latitude' of null

Hi @Firestar
I take back what I wrote before about time zone.
It looks like it is a bug in Frameworks 5.93 / Plasma 5.24.5 in testing branch. It is working in previous versions of plasma which I run in a VM and it seems to be working in 5.92 / 5.24.4 according to a live iso test.
No similar bug has been report at KDE so far. Seems like it is also not an issue with firewall.

It needs further investigation and maybe an upstream bug report at KDE.

Can someone confirm that this location service is still working in current stable branch running Plasma 5.24.4?

Update: just tried the latest KDE Neon iso release and the location service seems also not working.
Upstream Bug report opened: 453734. Bug report 453734 will be handled in succesor 453242.

Tested in unstable branch and the issue seems fixed with KDE Framework update to 5.94.

1 Like

Doesn’t gpsd require an actual gps device?
Phones do have one - but PCs or Laptops …?

solved, but not fully solved

my location is Beijing (40N 116E) and the GPS seems to got a wrong longitude and made my “night color” to “day color”

the right time is this:

@Firestar It works for me in both cases and I get the same Lat/Long in both cases (more or less).
Technically it will use the same service in both modes, I assume.
We maybe need more people to check their results of this automatic location service.

One comment maybe: It took quite a bit of time with the first detection to gather Lat/Long.

@Firestar Are you using a VPN?

1 Like