System update/ upgrade issue. eg: "themes-breath2" change to "themes-breath"

Everytime when i do system update/ upgrade, i see “themes-breath2” change to “themes-breath” or vice versa… (i have no idea is it because i have too many manjaro sytem that confuses me )… If not everytime i upgrade then it must be very often…

And each time i upgrade, something break or theme changed… Hence i am very very phobia when come to upgrade… i have already broke several arch based os due to upgrade.
Can someone kindly explain to me why theme keeps getting upgrade from this to that ? Is that so important ?

Can i just keep 1 theme and chuck the rest of the themes into rubbish bin and continue with using my work ? i don’t care about theme or update. i just want my computer to not break and stop time wasted.

I can’t even evade around theme related stuff when upgrading system.!

$ sudo pacman -Syu             
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core                                     169,5 KiB   503 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################] 100%
extra                                   1915,0 KiB  1187 KiB/s 00:02 [#######################################] 100%
community                                  6,8 MiB  2,52 MiB/s 00:03 [#######################################] 100%
multilib                                 175,5 KiB  2,72 MiB/s 00:00 [#######################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace breath2-icon-themes with community/plasma5-themes-breath? [Y/n] n
:: Replace plasma5-themes-breath2 with community/plasma5-themes-breath? [Y/n] n
:: Replace sddm-breath2-theme with community/sddm-breath-theme? [Y/n] n
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: plasma5-themes-breath and plasma5-themes-breath2 are in conflict. Remove plasma5-themes-breath2? [y/N]

You shouldnt.
Upgrades happen, packages get removed, update, or change.

If you want to keep only one of them, probably the default KDE breeze, then go for it.
If you want to use something else … do that … but you cant ‘evade’ upgrades.

If you want that, or have a problem with updates in general … then you should not use an Arch-based system … or any rolling release.

Thats not going to work out well for you on a rolling release distro.

2 Likes

Why i keep having breakage when upgrading ? Is there something to follow when upgrading ? is there some rules to follow ? like close all apps or what… ?

I wish manjaro have 2 type of update ? like 1 for update only critical and security stuff… and the normal rolling release, that will minimize a lot of trouble.

Not going to happen.

I reiterate … if you want things like this … you need to look elsewhere.

Yes … the user guide and wiki and general practices.
You have been around asking all sorts of questions for 2 years now.
I am surprised you still have more, even pertaining to basic use.

Considering myself and many others have documented systems running up to ~9 years (about the length of this distro being public) … I am going to guess it falls into that 95%+ category of ‘mismanagement’.

Mistakes or bugs happen … but the extent you are talking about cannot be anything other than improper operation.

2 Likes

Even now, i still find them priceless and useful Announcements - Manjaro Linux Forum

How does that be useful to you ?
Can you pls show me some real example ?
I don’t have time for manjaro news… i have got my own works halt because of problem after problem with arch based os.
[I love pacman and Plasma, also because i have be used to all these cli command so far, hence i am hesitating to switch to debian or ubuntu… else i would have already (just the frequent breakage due to upgrade hinder me). ]

I don’t suppose you read into each group of the news (releases, unstable update, stable update…)… i don’t understand what are those news has anything to do with me ? I don’t even have time to read current world news… whatelse an operating system news.

Unless from “unstable update” one can know “oh the current update will cause system to be unstable , so better hold on to update so early” … is that what you trying to convey to me ?
if it is, please kindly show me a real world example to me… (so that i can follow your lead).

Yes, the bugs i have on manjaro has persisted for 2 years already and still not all solve yet.
And when i asked too much , i got complain and my post being unlisted. The help i got is … slow and not very useful. (i can’t complain; because all these are based on community and they don’t get benefit from helping me…)
**NOT all help are of no help, some people indeed very helpful and kind… , but overall, i don’t get many of my bug fixed even until now, because i am “not allowed” to post too much issue at once… hence some issue that i can live by; i just leave them as it is (even after 10 yrs, the minor issues might still be there unfix). **

I do believe that could be right, because other ppl said no such issue. and both of my computer have different bug… hence ya… should be mis management.
The problem is, i don’t know what did i did wrong! … how can i prevent future damage if i don’t know what’s the problem is…

I can’t squeeze out so much time to read thru the whole wiki even if i want to.
Can you please just show me the link to “guide and practice to update this os (so it won’t break)” ? I dare not comment this is a fragile os (although to me it is ) because this is my FIRST linux os ever.

thx

Also i just want to add in this:
A lot of linux advocators criticized windows in such way:
Linux can be updated without need to reboot, unlike windows which needed to reboot after installation of each drivers…etc…
After 2 years of using arch based os, i don’t agree with this anymore (i speak on behalf of myself)…

Sorry, i forgot to ask:
Is there there os that is not rolling release but using KDE as DE and file system hierarchic and command lines (example, pacman, make,…etc) is the same as manjaro/arch based ?

here’s a link to get an overview

I find about issues that i might have missed from the channels communication with the team and developers from KDE …

More than one example actually. Read along.

And do you think Manjaro team should feel guilty about that?
Have a nice day!

1 Like

Not true; you used both Ubuntu and Mint before Manjaro. This information is easily viewable by checking the first few of your 134 help requests at linuxquestions(dot)org.

1 Like

What if you answer YES to these questions?

2 Likes

I don’t think a dip in water is called swim in water …

I have seem breath theme replacement prompt so very often… i have no idea shld i or shld i not press Y…
why when i update or upgrade the whole system packages only theme related stuff prompt for y/ n ?
Just a silly question, why only theme upgrade need prompting , while all other packages does not require any prompting…
Does uninstall this breath theme will get rid of this prompting in the future ? is it possible to uninstall that theme anyway? It seems there is no uninstall button for theme…
ya… lot of minor things that i don’t know…
I don’t like to ask too much of these stupid question, but if i don’t get answer for it… after 10 years i might still ask the same question … lol

Pacman will ask for replacements, if the new packages have replaces=('<old package>') in it’s PKGBUILD, which is the case for the new Breath themes.

If you don’t accept, the system won’t update, because that would result in a partially updated state, which is not supported on Arch or Manjaro.

So to continue the update, you need to press y to all these replace questions.

Always press Y or Enter when prompted during an update.

Please read Announcement posts before updating. You’ve been around long enough to know better. You already stated you cannot be bothered with doing anything yourself and refuse to read documentation. If you continue to waste the time of helpful volunteers, you will not longer be welcome here.