System update not possible due to deprecated orphans

Hi! I’m trying to update my system but I encounter conflicts which I cant solve:

sudo pacman -Syuu

:: Synchronising package databases...
 core                                                                146.6 KiB   484 KiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 extra                                                                 8.6 MiB  6.66 MiB/s 00:01 [--------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 community                                                            29.0   B   271   B/s 00:00 [--------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 multilib                                                            145.0 KiB  3.54 MiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace analitza with extra/analitza5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace appstream-qt with extra/appstream-qt5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kdiagram with extra/kdiagram5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kdsoap with extra/kdsoap-qt5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kirigami-addons with extra/kirigami-addons5? [Y/n] y
warning: kpeoplevcard: downgrading from version 0.1+r38.32d50a9-1 to version 0.1-2
:: Replace kuserfeedback with extra/kuserfeedback5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libkcddb with extra/libkcddb5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libkdcraw with extra/libkdcraw5? [Y/n] y
:: Replace libqaccessibilityclient with extra/libqaccessibilityclient-qt5? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
:: There are 2 providers available for glfw:
:: Repository extra
   1) glfw-wayland  2) glfw-x11

Enter a number (default=1): 1
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing kxmlgui5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kxmlgui' required by libkipi
:: installing kservice5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kservice' required by libkipi
:: installing kcoreaddons5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kcoreaddons' required by libmediawiki
:: installing kxmlgui5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kxmlgui' required by onvifviewer
:: installing knotifications5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'knotifications' required by telepathy-kde-approver
:: installing kservice5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kservice' required by telepathy-kde-approver
:: installing knotifyconfig5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'knotifyconfig' required by telepathy-kde-common-internals
:: installing ktexteditor5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'ktexteditor' required by telepathy-kde-common-internals
:: installing kpeople5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kpeople' required by telepathy-kde-common-internals
:: installing krunner5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'krunner' required by telepathy-kde-contact-runner
:: installing kidletime5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kidletime' required by telepathy-kde-integration-module
:: installing kactivities5 (5.112.0-1) breaks dependency 'kactivities' required by telepathy-kde-integration-module

If I choose “No” at the initial questions, the update brakes down with other conflicts.
I have seen a similar topic but in that topic there was a lot of discussion about unsupported kernels.
I’m running 6.6.3-1 kernel and there is only 6.5.13-1 installed as fallback.

I tried to uninstall the parts causing the conflicts but that generates even more conflicts.
How can I solve this problem?

All those packages that block the update are from AUR or are deprecated long ago. You should probably remove them before updating.

2 Likes

You could start by uninstalling Telepathy.

Then run update again, and note whichever errors are left (there shouldn’t be many), and uninstall those associated packages also.

When done, finally run the update, and make sure to choose Y (Yes) for each of the Renames/Replacements.

Here’a a nice long command for you:

sudo pacman -Rs telepathy && sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syu

I hope this helps. Cheers.

2 Likes

I suggest anybody mentioning libkipi, kpeoplevcontacts, telepathy and similar in this and the the next, 101st topic about it, donates 1 eur to manjaro on every mention, as a stimulus to start reading the announcements and as an excuse and punishment for cluttering the forum with junk because of not using the search function.

And to add some constructivity to the critics, here is a cheatsheet of useful commands.

You can pretty much click through every item on the top half. New mirrorrs, list orphans, delete orphans, list aur (and probably delete them if unused).

2 Likes

I have no problem of donating 1 Euro or even more. I did search the forum and found one solution but as I mentioned before it was cluttered by other topics. I uninstalling now all the stuff which comes up as conflict. I hope that will help.

There is one thing I would like to mention tough. I’m using Manjaro for many years now because I was fed up by Windows not working properly. Over the years I only experienced problems with Nvidia drivers. Other than that it was fine. But I’m not a Manjaro or Linux or whatever OS expert and I have no time to become one. I’m dependent on the OS I am using and have far too many other jobs to do, to be able to spend time on managing it. Searching and reading trough all the information you and others provide here is just not possible if you have more than one job and have to care for others outside of the digital world.

I’m very grateful for all the help I get in forums where I turn for help but please don’t lecture me on how I should acquire the same knowledge what you have because I’m not you and I am sure that I have a lot of knowledge what you don’t have and that maybe you will require one day.
So thanks for the help, I will try to get it work.

You picked wrong distro then.

1 Like

No, I don’t. Aside the occasional Nvidia Driver problems when installing new kernels (which I learned how to handle) is Manjaro the most stable OS I ever tested and used. It’s a rolling release, so you don’t have to reinstall everything new (like I experienced on Mint) just because the distribution is EOL.
For someone who have no time to nurse an OS, Manjaro is (imho) the best OS to choose.
Of course I have not tested all available OSs but I have friends and work mates who did try different options and I can say that my experience seems to be the smoothest until now.

1 Like

No, but you need to care for the system constantly. And since you are still having community repo in your pacman.conf you obviously don’t follow any announcements or do a proper maintenance.

No, but you need to care for the system constantly. And since you are still having community repo in your pacman.conf you obviously don’t follow any announcements or do a proper maintenance.

Obviously not. See my comment above. You are experts and therefore you are spending a lot of time informing yourself of everything related to Manjaro. I suppose you do this not just because you have to but because you like to do it.
I’m strictly a user only. No time to inform myself about Manjaro, just as I don’t have time to check if there is a new update for the TV or my car or for whatever other digitally infected everyday item.
And that’s exactly the reason why me (and other non digitally affine people) are depending on you. (Your skills, your kindness to share those skills and your help.)
There is only 24 hours in a day and we can not be masters of everything…

Update is finished after I removed all conflicting parts. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Most welcome. Cheers.

It doesn’t matter if it’s Linux, Windows, macOS, ETC… you have to maintain it to keep it functioning properly.

In theory you are absolutely right. (Theory defined here as: in an ideal world where we have no other obligations and you can do whatever you want.)
In reality, Manjaro proved to be the most stable OS for me even if it’s running with “10 years old oil and spark plugs from the last century”.
My wife’s notebook with Windows brings me to tears a couple of times each year. It’s a real pita to keep it running and she only uses it for minor tasks compared to what I’m using Manjaro for.

So, thanks to you and all the people involved in the Manjaro project, it is very solid OS even if it’s neglected by careless users. (I do the updates but nothing more…)

If it is neglected it breaks like you just saw.

In a rolling release every monthly update is a little distro upgrade and sometimes requires some manual work. If you do nat take the 15 min every month to read the announcements and take the manual action, it piles up. In your case, you did not remove orphans or aur or merge pacnew. The problems are not immediately obvious, but after an year or two it comes to a point that the new update really depends on that small change you did not made. And everything breaks with a bang as you just saw.

To sum up, rolling release arch distro like this is a bit more labour intensive than fixed point releases like ubuntu. It is more stable IF maintained properly. If not, it breaks horribly at some point.

4 Likes

It has been my experience that wives seldom understand their partner’s enthusiasm for Linux. :smile:

1 Like

I see your point and obviously I was then lucky to get this far.
Could that necessary maintenance be automated or scripted?
I do fully understand that everything needs care and attention but that’s exactly the problem.
EVERYTHING (The wife, the parents, the house, the car…) It’s just not enough time to fit all this in to 24 hour days.
Technology was supposed to be a helper for mankind… Now it became just another “child” needing attention and care. Things are more and more complicated instead of simpler.
I have to do with car development… It’s a nightmare!
We used to open a car door, turn the key and drive off… Now it beeps and blinks and chats with you and you haven’t even drove an inch.
Sorry, I think the discussion is now so much off topic that I might get problems.

If you see any possibilities to automate the necessary maintenance to help dummies like me, this might be a good thing for the future development.

How true! :rofl:

Try to replace windows by your (in my case 65y.o.) mother, and we talk again :slight_smile: Wife should be a piece of cake in comparison.

Not really. It’s about decision making, no script can do this for you properly.

Cheap, easy, accessible/open, secure.
You can choose any 2 (or maybe 3) in your OS choice between Mac, Win and Linux.

No. Wait. I’ve got just the thing!

Clippy-2

1 Like

How can i help you fix it?
A) Install windows 11 stable-and-semi-experimental
B) Install windows 12 pre-alpha, crashes only every 35 seconds
:slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.