System periodically freezes flooding the logs

Hello,

The past week or 2? my system seems to freeze and requires cycling the power to get it going again.
NOTE: This last time there was trouble getting the system back up and required a couple of power cycles to get back in through the GUI. What I am unsure of is at what iteration of this I was able to SSH into the system on but at one point I was able to get back in while it was “frozen” and saw the system was continually writing the same thing to the log over and over again. A single line over and over interrupted only by a line stating it had missed the last 31 lines to be written. The line is as follows:

M ar 11 07:48:39 zor kernel: sunrpc sg crypto_user fuse agpgart nfs_ssc ip_tables x_tables ext4 crc32c_generic crc16 mbcache jbd2 ohci_pci crc32c_intel ehci_pci ehci_hcd xhci_pci ohci_hcd xhci_hcd sr
_mod cdrom

My system specs are as follows:

SOFTWARE

KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.79.0
QT Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.9.16-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11

HARDWARE

Processors: 8 x AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 23.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD VERDE

I would be grateful for any ideas as I’m lost on this one. I’m a bit new to Manjaro / Arch after spent a gillion years with Red Hat based systems. I’m really enjoying the use of a more “Modern” version of Linux… which is my excuse for not as yet been able to corner what may have been in the log just prior to the repeating line. While this “journalctl” stuff and my unfamiliarity with it is an obstacle to overcome I’m a bit embarrassed not to have been able to manage what surely should be a trivial feat…

Outside of what the previous line in the log might indicate my only baseless thought is it might have something to do with KDE in combination with two monitors as it seems to become “Split-Brain” after the screen lock kicks in from time to time when you attempt to log back in. IE it sometimes seems to have trouble figuring out which monitor is primary.

Thank you very much

1 Like

My apologies but I do not see the ARROW the instructions say to click “At the beginning of the section”. As usual I’m probably looking right at it but can I have another hint? :slight_smile:

Please read this:

Oh my! Please read this too:

Also what @Jtyle6 already said: We need some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies, but my first course of action would be up upgrade to an LTS kernel like 5.4 or 5.10 (LTS=Long Time Support) ad 5.9 is EOL…

Don’t read the excerpts: Click the green links, please.I’ll update the tutorial for it to show that in the next few minutes Done! Read jstyle’s answer again. It should be more obvious now what you need to do…

:scream: