System Maintenance GUI

I don’t know YaST, so, I can’t answer you properly.

A user can sort of do this already via XDG features.

I add programs (or scripts) to the XFCE Settings Manager. I put then in the Other category, certainly a Maintenance category could be created.

General Steps

1. Copy desktop files (or create) to ~/.local/share/applications

2. Edit desktop file, add to Categories
    X-XFCE-SettingsDialog;Settings;

Some Documentation

1. Local file: /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-settings-manager.menu
  2. At XFCE: howto:customize-menu [Xfce Wiki]
  3. At freedesktop: menu-spec . freedesktop.org

This same concept could be carried over to the menu (i.e., XFCE Whisker Menu).

Most maintenance, it seems, once established, is automatic, and taken care of by anacron, cron or systemd timers. Most of the things I add are tools. I remapped the Super Key, so Super-S brings up XFCE System Settings.

My proposal is for Plasma KDE Desktop Environment. It can be extended for other DE.

The request is for Manjaro developers to design and implement this Feature Request regardless if user can do or not, in Linux all users can do anything if they have knowledge for it, but this thread is not focused on DIY.

Regards.

Hey!

Not needed for most Linux FSes and probably will hurt more SSD users. There are specialized tools for this task.

Not quite related to Manjaro or OS at all

Planned as a part of Backery

Check MCP thread

Seems like a nice idea if anyone could support updates of such list at least for major features

You mean some button to clean it?

Some pointers for KSystemLog could be done but not sure in what context.

Pamac is in tray already, no reason to keep two versions of effectively the same function

Might be more appliable as a feature request for Baloo KCM.

Thank you! Overall I like your ideas and would ask you to share more in MCP discussion as I’m working on it now. Dashboard module looks like a perfect place to put some this functions.

4 Likes

ping me again later.

I personally just use pacui, which has a Maintain System option:

It doesn’t clear everything you’re asking for though. LordTermor was able to pick out the info for you in your request.

Thanks for reminding me about KSystemLog. Also, Backery sure looks like a useful tool.

Yes, it’s, but in my suggestion I was considering a GUI tool for maintenance related to the bulleted items. If you read the bullet stand alone you will understand a different thing and you did. They are grouped.

Going in detail about packages and updates, the maintenance GUI could be used to integrate the following command lines:

To clear the cache of packages that are no longer installed
$ sudo pacman -Sc

To clear the cache completely
$ sudo pacman -Scc

these are pretty aggressive options. especially the second one can ruin your system, if the next (i.e. not yet installed) version of an essential package is broken.

pacui uses more conservative means:

# remove all packages, which are not installed on this system, except the latest versions (this is a back up, in case somebody removes networkmanager)
        sudo paccache -rvu -k 1

# remove all package versions, except the latest 3
        sudo paccache -rv -k 3

I took those for instance, all the content needs to be discussed from developers for better integration with the system. Below you can find an image to better illustrate my suggestions. It’s a simple GUI, but the amount of contents and how to implement them, you guys know much better then me.

blah.
garuda-assistant exists and is a lot like what you want.
(though I DO NOT suggest using it)

1 Like

Don’t know about Garuda-assistant, I will try it in Virtual Box, but if it’s good, why not forking it to create Manjaro own version?

eh … because its a cheap gui, and most of the functions are poorly designed.
Well … thats my opinion …
As to why someone else hasnt used it … you would have to ask someone else :wink:

I just thought it resembled your mock-up.

2 Likes

“manjaro setting mannager” : is for configuring :wink: you propose an application for something else : delete caches

For me, these graphical model options are only interesting for the disk space maniacs (a minimal BleachBit clone)
These are only personal choices and certainly not interesting for everyone (clear journald 1…3 ??? i have 3 ?)

• packages : we have a timer, no reason to clear the cache. You delete it to save space ? so you have a problem and this “button” is not a perennial answer (best is to post here and not clear all days :wink: )
  • backup ?? no idea what you mean timeshift, other … btrfs or not , … an incremental backup takes very very little space and no reason to keep 36 backups - each backup type has its own system settings
  • journal logs : takes little space and no interest to enlarge ( to 1Go or more !?) - me: i limit in time and log level - too bad: it was the only thing that could interest me
    I’ve never cleaned these files : journalctl --disk-usage > Archived and active journals take up 288.0M in the file system.

There’s a systemd timer pamac-cleancache that does this monthly.

OnCalendar=Sat *-*-1..7 15:00:00

See also: /etc/pamac.conf - KeepNumPackages (it’s also viewable via GUI)

Don’t forget about logrotate, too.

It’s nice to have a place to go, as described above, but don’t forget that it can all be automated too. And some of it already has (ie., pamac-cleancache).

Set it and forget it. :slight_smile:

Papajoke, you need to abstract, I can’t objectively point all Linux information precisely, so you can understand the numbers as a subgroup of the same journal or different journal.
Kernel LOG
X.Org LOG
etc
And also for the same LOG I may wanna delete only the warnings and keep with Errors and Alerts.

Feel free to think out of the box
Saving space is very important, if you have Android Phone you will see that you have the ability to clear caches for all APP, if you use windows, you will see that windows explorer gives you option to clear a lot of different caches. If you may have old notebook or old PC you may also have disk space constrains, so yes, this is important and is not related to “disk space maniacs”, maybe you just have a lot of free space available in your system.

It’s important to mention adding this reply, to indicate that also PAMAC has one of my suggestions already implemented trough GUI, check the image below at bottom and you will find configuration for cache and a button to clean.

From my point of view, if manjaro developers are able to design and implement a central place with as many options as possible for maintenance in a GUI, it will be very useful.

as for benchmark, below you can find the Garuda Assistant as pointed from @cscs

I think Manjaro team can do a better job, but it’s a start where they can fork and shortcut time effort.

1 Like

I personally think they have better to do. Priorities should - and are - be placed elsewhere.

For the long to-do list they have, and the short number they are, I doubt it will be done one day.

If really you or those interested want and need this (I don’t myself), it’ll be quicker to port the Garuda bloat assistant in AUR.

1 Like

Most of the manjaro team are tied up/busy with arm development at the moment. All though a maintenance gui would be quite a nice feature I don’t think its high on thier to do list