System doesn't detect charging status when charger is plugged / unplugged

After booting with the newer 5.19 kernel, my laptop always shows that the battery is plugged in even though it is not. Trying to plug in the charger and removing it is not being detected. Though the hardware indicator LED on the laptop is turning red when nearing out of charge and that is when I’m plugging it in until the indicator turns white again.

However, on 5.18 kernel this is totally fine. Attaching the output of the command inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width here:

I don’t want to rollback to older kernel immediately, as I’m not seeing any other issues. Everything else was smooth for me. Any ideas where to look?

Only change I remember doing is not letting the laptop go to sleep in case of lid close, as I use it most of the time with an external monitor.

Check battery status if it is correct:

cat /sys/class/power_supply/AC/online

or

cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/status

I have ACAD and BAT1 as the directories.

ACAD/online always contains the number 1, no matter if I pulled out the plug or is it in.
BAT1/status always shows Full.

I have disconnected the charger for more than half an hour now, so there is no chance it is still full.

That looks like the Linux Kernel 5.19 has some bug or does not support your laptop’s charger

I have found this bug report in ArchLinux regarding the same issue, and proceeded with the workaround listed there.

sudo echo "blacklist asus_ec_sensors" > /etc/modprobe.d/asus_ec_sensors.conf

I executed the above command, and after the reboot, the problem is gone.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.