System does not boot correctly most of time

I have a manjaro installation that is not working correctly and I’m planing to do a full new install and erase the currently system. I also have two SSD on my laptop and have installed today the newly qonos gnome build already.

I still need to transfer my files from the old manjaro installation to the new one but I want to do it gradually.
I’m explaining all this because I sometimes my old manjaro installation does not boot. It’s show the ASUS logo and right under this logo it’s displays the manjaro logo with the three dots meaning it’s loading the system. But it’s does not complete the load of the system and stops on this screen doing nothing more.

Always I have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the process that will finish on the same issue in loop.

I found that during the boot if I press constantly the numbers 6, 7, 8, 9 on my keyboard sometimes it’s boot correctly and I’m able to use the system as I’m using right now.

It’s running the kernel 5.11.22-2, I tried to change it but always it’s fails.
Linux ifrit 5.11.22-2-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 21 17:45:54 UTC 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux

journalctl -p3 -b-1                                                                                                                                                                      ✔  2m 38s  
jan 01 16:04:26 ifrit systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to find module 'nvidia'
jan 01 16:04:26 ifrit systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to find module 'nvidia-drm'
jan 01 16:04:26 ifrit systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to find module 'nvidia-uvm'
jan 01 16:04:27 ifrit kernel: snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC0D2: Monitor plugged-in, Failed to power up codec ret=[-13]
jan 01 16:04:28 ifrit gnome-session-binary[720]: Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop
jan 01 16:04:28 ifrit gdm-launch-environment][616]: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
jan 01 16:14:55 ifrit kernel: watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!

I’m found the command above in another topic and have run it because maybe it could show my problem.

Right now I’m on the old manjaro with the issue I described above. If something that I must run the help me please tell me.

I just wanna have a boot without this issue until I can finally remove this entire installation and switch to the new one.

What is your system information from inxi -Fazy and the kernel boot message from sudo dmesg?

At a glance, it seems there’s a problem loading the NVIDIA driver.

1 Like

Hello @ramonoakz :wink:

That seems to be normal problem, which should be easily fixable.

1. linux511 is EOL and not available at the Manjaro anymore. Use a LTS kernel (e.g. linux510 ) or upgrade it to the latest stable one ( linux515 ).
  2. Since the kernel is EOL and not available, the nvidia module (which is compiled against this kernel) is also not available. It must have been removed from the system.

So you need to:

1. Boot the Manjaro Install Disk and chroot into the local installation.
  2. Remove the current linux511 completely and install linux510 for example.
  3. Also reinstall the nvidia drivers for the current kernel.

GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro
Configure Graphics Cards - Manjaro
Manjaro Kernels - Manjaro

To have a working system again, you need to fix it, as suggested above. And when it is fixed, you need to upgrade the system and you are on the latest stable release. I don’t see why a re-installation would be necessary, after the system is working again.

However… if you need just access to the data for an backup and you want re-install anyway, then just boot Manjaro Install Disk and you should have full access to your data.

1 Like

Hi @megavolt following your orientation I was able to boot my system. I have installed the kernel 4.9.295-1-MANJARO and reinstalled the nvidia drivers and after I was able to do a login on my system. I hope I can make my backups smoothly from now and after I finish everything I will switch to the new installation and erase this one. Thank you for the tips.

@JiaZhang thanks for the tip, I will skip it for now as I able to get my system running once.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.