Switching to Manjaro from Windows 10 (AMD Raid concerns)

I’d like to switch back to Linux from Windows 10. My concerns are about the AMD RaidXpert (fake) raid arrays I have.

My current disk configuration is:

Sabrent Rocket Plus NVMe (1 drive) (array 1 - raidable) (boot drive)
Sabrent Plus NVMe (4 drives) (array 2 - raid 0) (apps/games)
SATA drives (4 drives) (array 3 - raid 0) (archive)

I don’t care about the data on array 1 and 2, but I absolutely have to keep the array 3 data intact. It’s got all my archives, including 20 years worth of family photos.

So here’s my question. If I reconfigure all the drives in the BIOS as AHCI, can I retain array 3 using Linux-native drivers?

The end goal is to have a Linux system with Windows 10 available via KVM + GPU passthrough so I can still do Rhino 3D, Alias AutoStudio and a few games.

Is this doable?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Hello @tjmitchem :wink:

Yes it is doable, but not advisable. There is a driver for AMD RaidXpert for linux, but the support seems to be pretty non-existent: GitHub - thopiekar/rcraid-dkms: AMD RAIDXpert driver as DKMS package

So in your case, if you want to keep the data as it is on array3, then don’t do it. You will get more problems than its worth for a switch.

If you want to switch, then just use a normal software raid with mdadm.

So in other words, find a way to back up the three terabytes on that third array first :slight_smile:

I’ll look for some cheap backup.

Wait. You run a raid 0 setup with 4 drives containing data that you can absolutely not miss and you didn’t yet set up a backup? :man_facepalming:

I had the same thought, but did not write it :smiley:

1 Like

Never had an issue with them.

Also, I realize that was stupid. The problem is that the archive drive has gotten rapidly larger over the past two years.

The size doesn’t really matter. If one of disks fails, your data is gone.
You’d want at least a bit of safety e.g. raid 5 (and a backup on top of it !).
Since you call it “Archive” I’d assume data is accessed rarely and pure performance does not really matter anyways…

So:

• Get a backup drive and copy all of your data to it
  • Install linux
  • Turn your array3 into a RAID5 or 1+0 array
  • copy back the data

and then make regular backups

:wink:

The precious (SATA) data has been backed up :slight_smile:
I just need to deal with the NVMe SSD drives.