Switched SSD from one Laptop to another -> Kernel panic

Hey,
so i switched SSD to a new laptop and got a static manjaro-logo. After rebooting to additional options and to recovery i got kernel panic (0c00000100) with a non-descriptive error. I tried to follow https:// forum.manjaro. org/t/how-to-save-your-manjaro-installation-when-it-breaks/3902 but got stuck at step 4. After that i followed https:// wiki.manjaro. org/index.php/GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

[manjaro manjaro]# lsblk -o PATH,PTTYPE,PARTTYPE,FSTYPE,PARTTYPENAME
PATH       PTTYPE PARTTYPE                             FSTYPE   PARTTYPENAME
/dev/loop0                                             squashfs 
/dev/loop1                                             squashfs 
/dev/loop2                                             squashfs 
/dev/loop3                                             squashfs 
/dev/sda   gpt                                                  
/dev/sda1  gpt    c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b vfat     EFI System
/dev/sda2  gpt    0fc63daf-8483-4772-8e79-3d69d8477de4 ext4     Linux filesystem
/dev/sdb   dos                                         iso9660  
/dev/sdb1  dos    0x0                                  iso9660  Empty
/dev/sdb2  dos    0xef                                 vfat     EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

so sda1 should be my manjaro because sdb is the live-stick. manjaro-chroot -a gives me

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
==> Mounting (LinuxMint) [/dev/sda2]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
mount: /mnt/etc/resolv.conf: mount point is a symbolic link to nowhere.
chroot: failed to run command '/bin/bash': No such file or directory
 --> umount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
 --> umount: [/mnt]

but it seems to look at sda2? After doing mount /dev/sda2 /mnt and mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi and manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash i am now stuck with

mount: /mnt/etc/resolv.conf: mount point is a symbolic link to nowhere.
chroot: failed to run command '/bin/bash': No such file or directory

I hope you can help me and point me to what i can/should do next to get this laptop going again :slight_smile:

I’d suggest putting your SSD back into the original laptop, running Timeshift to get a snapshot, and then when putting it into another laptop do a fresh installation and then restore.

1 Like

Something like that was another thought of mine, but unfortunately something broke the laptop itself and no i cannot start the old laptop anymore at all. The vendor information got deleted somehow and i was not able yet to restore it somehow.

Then try and put the drive into an external enclosure, and get the info off with another computer.

Or get another hard drive, install Manjaro, connect the older drive VIA external enclosure, and get the data off. Followed by getting rid of the older drive.

1 Like

Okay, with bbs. archlinux.org /viewtopic.php?pid=1153129#p1153129

unlink /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
touch /mnt/etc/resolv.conf

I was able to get rid of the mount point is a symbolic link to nowhere error. Now i’m still stuck with chroot: failed to run command '/bin/bash': No such file or directory and i’m afraid its the harder one? I looked at unix .stackexchange.com/questions/128046/chroot-failed-to-run-command-bin-bash-no-such-file-or-directory and got to unix .stackexchange.com/questions/128046/chroot-failed-to-run-command-bin-bash-no-such-file-or-directory/416556#416556 step 1 You can mount -o bind these directories under chroot what the heck am i supposed to do there? I have a feeling simply typing mount -o bind is not enough.

Someone know the exact command?

OMG i completely missed that the hard drive was installed with Linux Mint :person_facepalming:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.