Sway Community Edition: Preview

Where can we keep track of changes? Maybe a changelog topic here?

I installed it as my daily driver and found a first issue. Would be glad to help :hugs:

Sent a simple PR to add ā€œArea screenshotā€ support that I use all the time at work.

Is this the correct workflow to contribute?

1 Like

And

1 Like

I donā€™t see the sway community edition in that link. Is it in a special branch?

In the iso-profiles repo there is a sway branch where we work at the moment.
Since we are still in development, we are currently working on how to handle official release builds and how the procedures for that are handled. We are working together with the Manjaro team, but since we are doing this in our spare time it will take some time.
Thank you for your inputs and recommendations towards this project.

2 Likes

Hi there, ā€‹

I have downloaded Manjaro Sway 21.0 (community edition) and I would like to install it in a USB stick, so as to have a persistent bootable Sway installation without modifying my laptop hard disk.

I have used RPI imager to create a live USB stick with Sway, I have booted from it in my laptop (ASUS ZenBook) and immediately the wizard to install it appears. I select my other USB stick (/dev/sbd) in the drop down menu for ā€œSelect storage deviceā€ and I see that the wizard says ā€œThe EFI system partition at /dev/nvme0nn1p1 will be used for starting Manjaroā€.

Just to clarify, partition /dev/nvme0n1 is the main hard disk of my laptop, where Windows 10 is installed, which I would like to keep unaltered.

In the last screen of the wizard, under partitions it shows both the main hard disk (/dev/nvme0nn1) and the USB stick (/dev/sdb), and it says:

1. Delete partition /dev/deb1
  2. Create new partition on /dev/sdb (USB DISK 3.0) with file system ext4.
  3. Set up fa32 partition /dev/nvme0n1p1 with mount point /boot/efi%4
  4. Install Manjaro on new ext4 system partition.

I understand steps 1, 2 and 4, but I am not sure about 3.

I would like to understand what step 3 above means exactly and to confirm that it will not modify the Windows Boot Manager of the main partition.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry if my question is a bit basicā€¦
Cheers, Manuel

you want to disconnect your main drive temporarily so it isnā€™t touched/found.

Thanks. Shall I interpret your reply as that it does modify my main drive? Seems like it.

I suppose that to follow your suggestion I would need to open the laptop and unwire the diskā€¦ Itā€™s a companyā€™s work laptop, Iā€™d prefer not to do that.

no rear access?

Hi Kerry, not sure what you mean by rear access. The computer is not a workstation, itā€™s a laptop (netbook). I donā€™t even have a proper screwdriver, out of question to open it.

I just would like to know whether the third option in my list would actually change anything in the boot manager of the computer. If it does, I will not proceed with the installation. That would be okay, I just need to know.

I will only proceed with the installation if someone can confirm that that step is just about mounting the main drive, not actually writing to itā€¦

that option sets the bootloader on the main drive to boot the usb.
you need the bootloader on the usb.

an example, the usb created that way will only boot on that laptop, because theres no bootloader on the usb it self.

By that, I understand it does modify the main drive. Would that affect how Windows is loaded when no USB is used to boot, or even prevent normal startup into Windows?

In any case, I havenā€™t had this problem when I did exactly the same thing with another distro. When I select a drive, thatā€™s the one where everything is installedā€¦ Maybe something to improve in Sway?

Please use vimium! Itā€™s definitely more stable and responsive, feature rich and more actively developed than the one @Chrysostomus recommended.
http://vimium.github.io/

you guys most really be keyboarding it up.
i prefer a mix of both keyboard & mouse, i like to lean back in my chair & just use the mouse most of the time, so i add clickable elements to my waybar, launchers & click to close.

1 Like

Registered here to say thanks @simonb @boredland (and Chrysostomus, canā€™t mention more than 2 users) for this awesome distro.

zsh, powerlevel10k, git-shortcuts, neovim, nice customization out-of-the-box. It feels already polished.

Iā€™m still trying to understand how to customize top bar (looks like itā€™s not a native sway bar?) and how to remove flash/transparency on switching windows. Iā€™ve been using Manjaro i3 for 3 years and I think Iā€™ll never return back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

waybar is the panel, it has itā€™s own ~/.config/waybar/config
very easy to understand.

1 Like

Go to /etc/sway/config.d/99-autostart-applications.conf and comment out the line containing ā€œflashfocusā€.
This will be overwritten every time manjaro-sway-settings gets updated, though.

1 Like

yeah, I think the solution for that is easy:
Iā€™ll remove the fallback animation when flashfocus isnā€™t installed. After that you can just uninstall flashfocus and theyā€™re gone.

1 Like

I donā€™t think this is a sway question, since sway uses the general manjaro installer (calamares).

ill grab a copy, but my internet is acting up, iā€™m waiting on a new box from spectrum, my downloads keep dying, cause the net cuts out. torrents say like 999 days :rofl:, so i have to try direct download or wget.