Swap Partition 1st step

Then you made your decision.
You want swap.
You want 64 GB of swap.

No matter whether it is the same size as your root filesystem and is just sitting there to be used for hibernation, but not being used for anything else most of the time.
Basically 64 GB of wasted SSD space - in my opinion
… but it’s your decision … your wish, your preference …

What is preventing you from creating a 64 GB swap partition in the free space you apparently have available?

create it, format as swap, add to /etc/fstab, update /etc/default/grub to point to that as a resume from partition

But I think, from what I saw, that your system is encrypted.

Is it?

You provide marginal feedback at best.

@Olli

Sometimes i like to preserve the programs i have open, so i don’t have to re-open them.
Isn’t swap for hibernation an obligation; to achieve this in manjaro?

On windows if you want to preserve your workspace and have the computer in a shutdown state, (you have to hibernate!).

Isn’t it the same in manjaro?

Same reply as for @Olli

Sometimes i like to preserve the programs i have open, so i don’t have to re-open them.
Isn’t swap for hibernation an obligation; to achieve this in manjaro?

On windows if you want to preserve your workspace and have the computer in a shutdown state, (you have to hibernate!).

Isn’t it the same in manjaro?

I respect your critical thinking. I like how linux users think rationally on how to best squeeze the system to our advantage.

I tried in /home. Did not work! Plus my hibernate button is missing which did not come to life after i rebooted several times.
Will try again.

No. What makes you think that?

I am not being able to upload screenshots, and now i have to start providing konsole text outputs.
It’s better anyway; to get used to commands! But takes longer to trim what i and peers need to understand issue.
I am taking note of commands like lbsk -l, inxi -fazi, etc down, and what they do. So that when i post a new thread it will always contain context.

@ U174

I would suggest that, if there is any data on the Manjaro Install that you want to keep, that you back it up.

Then completely reinstall Manjaro, after creating sufficient space to have a realistic sized set of partitions for Manjaro.

I would suggest 30 Gig for root, the 64 Gig you appear to need for Swap, and at least what you currently have for your Home Partition.

My current set up on a 500 gig HDD is.

root 30 Gig, swap 20 gig, and the rest for home

20 Gig is what Arch recommends to decent Hibernation on my 8 Gig RAM

You say you have plenty of disk space to work with, so I say have at it.

I don’t want to re-install manjaro for 2 reasons:

1) I will hit this kind of roadblock in the future and i should start learning how to fix a rolling release distro when i break it.
2) I don’t want to take note of my apps and re install and tweak them again.

I can trim windows down do accommodate space for manjaro. Space is not a problem!
My fear is breaking the system while using gparted which i’m not used to.

I will backup with Timeshift before i use gparted.

USE A EXTERNAL BACKUP MEDIUM ! IF YOU BREAK YOUR PARTITIONING EVERYTHING ON THE DISK IS BROKEN (INCLUDING YOUR TIMESHIFT-BACKUP) !

1 Like

Indeed! I will backup with Timeshift to External SSD. This is ok, right?
With Windows i use macrium, with live rescue usb.
Need to check how timeshift works.

i prefer CloneZilla for this cases. you could clone the entire disk (including the partitioning etc…) this is a 100% clone-backup and if something brakes you restore the same identical disk as before. no waste of time with anything. clonezilla is the swiss-knife for this cases.

Fair enough.

There is no time like the present to get started.

After making the necessary back up do one thing at a time.

For instance delete the current swap, then expand root into that… if they are concurrent.

Make sure everything is functioning.

Reduce the size of your Windows Partition to create the necessary free space for swap.

Check everything again.

Reformat the freed space as Swap.

Boot into Manjaro and ‘tell’ /etc/fstab where to find Swap.

Check again

‘tell’ GRUB where to find the swap for resume from Hibernate.

Then sort out why Hibernate is not being offered, assuming Manjaro doesn’t offer it, once the swap partition is big enough.

That’s the process I would use if I was unsure of the tools I’m using. In fact it’s how I would do it anyway.

It is possible to create a list of actions for gParted to perform, but I personally don’t recommend that. After too many breakages in the past, I prefer to do one thing at a time. It seems slower, but it’s a lot safer.

1 Like

I will use Rescuezilla as it’s easier to use and fully compatible with Clonezilla.
Supports images made by virtual box.

Eventually i will try Foxclone. I read it’s the best. A Complete Image cloning utility.

With Rescuezilla I will check on selecting only the linux partitions and not the windows ones as that will obviously be a waste of space.

Erroneous thinking - I was mistaken.
Sorry!

I concur with the process @tracyanne laid out.
To shrink the Windows partition - to make room for the swap partition - use Windows itself!
Do that shrinking from within it - that’s the safest method.

Then create the swap partition in the freed space.

To add to that:
also tell Grub where to find it - GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT is what you adjust.
change

resume=UUID=32a01f29-852c-43f0-8b05-9b57ed038190

to the UUID of the newly created swap partition - and get rid of

resume_offset=xxx

as that is only needed for a swap file.

update-grub

No need to touch your existing installation beyond editing these two files.
/etc/fstab
and
/etc/default/grub

And delete the too small swap file(s) that where in use …

Backups are good in any case, but the risk of this procedure going wrong is minimal to not existing. :wink: