(SVG) icons not work for GTK3.0 apps after Plasma6 updated

What happen

After updating to Plasma6, GTK3.0 applications (like Thunar) don’t show SVG icons.

As in the picture, breeze-dark icon theme doesn’t work properly. Adwaita is used instead of breeze-dark.(This is a screenshot of Thunar)

After a while, I found SVG icons are not rendered in GTK applications. (and fallback to ugly icons)
To reproduce, I tested the PlasmaXDark icon theme which also uses SVG icons.

Reproduce

1. PlasmaXDark

PlasmaXDark is also broken. As you can see, folder icons are ugly.
The reason why the “Pictures” icons are rendered correctly is that the PlasmaXDark inherits the gnome icon theme which uses PNG icons.

“Pictures” icon at /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/folder-pictures.png
folder-pictures

2. Change folder icon

In ~/.local/share/icons/PlasmaXDark/48x48/places/, when I change folder.svg to folder.tmp.svg and put folder.png from gnome icon theme as shown in the picture,
folder icons rendered correctly after reloading the PlasmaXDark icon theme.

I confirmed the SVG icon glitch reproduces in the Plasma session of newly created user so I guess the problem is not from my Plasma configuration problem.

Conclusion

I concluded the problem is the SVG icon and it is not so difficult to convert the breeze-dark icon theme into a PNG one but it is not so comfortable solution.
Does anyone know how SVG icons work correctly in GTK3.0 applications in Plasma6?

Thank you.

Environment

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.1.0
Qt Version: 6.7.0
Kernel Version: 6.1.90-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2
Manufacturer: MouseComputer/7Hpr64
Product Name: H81M-D3V-JP

I installed Thunar to see if i had the same issue.

I do not see any issue with Thunar. My icon theme is Tela-nord-dark with svg icons too.

Could change Plasma theme, icon themes, GTK themes back and forth several times ?

This issue occurs only with thunar or with other applications ?

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I can change those themes again and again.
The issue occurs with (to my best understanding) all GTK3.0 applications e.g. mousepad, pavucontrol.

Your Manjaro is a (relatively) newly installed one?
I’ve been using this Manjaro for around 6 years and it is not so wonder if something has gone wrong. It can be time to fresh install Manjaro…

It sounds like you are mixing Plasma and XFCE. Do not know if this is a good idea.
My installation, yes, it’s 2-3 months old. Before, i was with XFCE. I reinstalled my system, on testing branch to have Plasma 6.

Thank you for your dedication and I found the solution!

GTK applications do not use svg (breeze) icons after system upgrade

From archlinux wiki of Uniform look for Qt and GTK applications article. (I can’t paste the link because I recently created Manjaro forum account…?)

Great… May the archlinux wiki be with you…
Thank you :slight_smile:

Interesting, i see exactly where it is in arch wiki :slight_smile:
For the record :
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Uniform_look_for_Qt_and_GTK_applications#GTK_applications_do_not_use_svg_(breeze)_icons_after_system_upgrade

1 Like

Thank you for the link :laughing:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.