Suggestion: Update Openssh to 9.3p2 in stable from testing because CVE-2023-38408

Hello,

I don’t know if manjaro has a dedicated security team, but I noticed that Arch updated to the non-vulnerable version on the 19th and Manjaro on the 20th in unstable and testing, but not in stable.

I understand the reasons for the cycles between the 3 branches, but hence my query, since that particular update is available and could be done.

$ mbn info openssh -q
Branch         : archlinux
Name           : openssh
Version        : 9.3p2-1
Repository     : core
Build Date     : Wed 19 Jul 2023 20:43:36 
Packager       : Levente Polyak <anthraxx@archlinux.org>
Branch         : unstable
Branch         : testing
Branch         : stable
Version        : 9.3p1-2
Build Date     : Tue 30 May 2023 19:08:19 
Packager       : Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.org>

@Yochanan @philm

Note that certain conditions need to exist - especially the second condition mentioned - for an attack to be succesful.

ssh-agent(1) in OpenSSH between and 5.5 and 9.3p1 (inclusive) remote code execution relating to PKCS#11 providers
The PKCS#11 support ssh-agent(1) could be abused to achieve remote code execution via a forwarded agent socket if the following conditions are met:

• Exploitation requires the presence of specific libraries on the victim system.
  • Remote exploitation requires that the agent was forwarded to an attacker-controlled system.

OpenSSH: Security
NVD - CVE-2023-38408

This may suggest that gamers may fall prey to attacker if the attacker controls a popular game serving portal or similar which requires a ssh connection.

Likewise running illegally obtained cracked games could open the system for attack.

openssh 9.3p2-0.1 is pushed to the stable branch.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.