Substitution for grub-customizer

I know it works but what it changes I do not know, if it changes the bios how does grub catch up?

That’s it, it doesn’t affect GRUB. It affects the boot order for EFI, the BIOS, and NOT GRUB.

For uefi systems, each distro’s bootloader (usually grub), if installed, gets installed in that ESP partition. So all it is, is a collection of each distro’s grubs.

Efibootmgr just helps you select which distro’s grub you want to control the booting of your whole machine. Once you have selected the controlling grub, you need to know how to tweak it, so get familiar with editing that distro’s /etc/default/grub file.

After update-grub the grub.cfg resets and I have to do the steps each time grub updates itself. Is there a permanent way?

Probably not as the file you modify is generated on each update. You could maybe craft a pacman hook specifically to modify this file, but that’s kinda risky if your hook doesn’t work properly.

I have saved my modified part as a backup on a 2nd ssd, when grub updates(doesn’t update frequently) I will just paste my saved portion of the grub.cfg to the new grub.cfg.

1 Like

You shouldn’t edit grub.cfg.
You need to follow instructions a little more carefully - either that or just leave it alone because it’s working ok at the moment.

kate /etc/default/grub
and don’t forget to sudo update-grub.

What is the output of:
grep "^menuentry" /boot/grub/grub.cfg | cut -d "'" -f2

The output is:
Windows BOot Manager
Manjaro linux

Yes he shouldn’t, but as far as I know it is the only possibility to reorganize your Grub menu entries in a specific order. Am I missing something? How can you edit /etc/default/grub to do that?

I don’t have any entries to play with, so I can’t really say - and every other guide you come up with on a search uses grub-customizer…

I think there’s a menu list in /etc/grub.d/ if you have more entries - which are added into grub.cfg on update.

OP can you do lsa /etc/grub.d/ for us?

Do you see a menu list?

corrected for you (I guess he doesn’t have your alias :P)

ls=‘exa --icons --color=always --group-directories-first’
la=‘ls -a’

Wow, nicely spotted.
Actually it’s right to say that you edit 40_custom to put in menu entries, I wonder if it’s worth getting:

`cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom`
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

Maybe we find there the source of the lines in grub.cfg?

To organise your grub menu entries, create entries, in whichever order you want, in a file named /boot/grub/custom.cfg

1 Like

Editing grub.cfg was the only way to reorganize the entries…and in arch Linux if I install Linux & Linux LTS then it defaults to the LTS one…I wanted to boot the Linux kernel as default…so after rearranging the ‘menuentries’ I had to edit the Linux line & the intel-ucode line with Linux(previously was linux-lts) and now I have
Windows
Manjaro
Arch
Adv opts for Manjaro
Adv opts for Arch
(And Arch now defaults to Linux kernel…I don’t use the remember previous entry thing)

I have backed up my grub.cfg before editing & I will look into your link thoroughly

ls -a /etc/grub.d/
.   00_header  20_linux_xen  40_custom  README
..  10_linux   30_os-prober  41_custom

The first time you create custom.cfg, remember to rename /etc/grub.d/41_custom to 09_custom, and then

sudo update-grub

After that first time updating grub, you don’t need to update grub again even if you amend custom.cfg subsequently.

2 Likes

Any solutions yet? Something that doesn’t involve editing gub.cfg?

Wow.
Are you asking me to read through the thread and translate it to English for you?
None of the solutions involve editing gub.cfg.
All of the solutions avoid that… but grub.cfg would, in fact, be altered in the process.

We lost feedback from the OP, so nobody is actually working through this now - so it looks like we aren’t going to get a detailed account of how they did it… and I don’t have other OS’s installed to do a proper investigation myself.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.