Stuck on startup screen after update

So after updating to latest, which I haven’t done in a long time, Manjaro no longer starts properly.

My dual OS boot screen works fine, but when I choose Manjaro, the keyboard lights up like it usually does, but the ASUS splash screen never disappears. It’s at this point that CTRL+ALT+F2 does bring up a terminal, and also tapping the power button will trigger a (very quick) shut down.

The steps leading up to this; The first issue was I got a lot of “Unacceptable TLS certificate” messages and the update failed. But running “sudo pacman-mirrors -g” fixed this and the update went ahead. (This may be a sign that the issue is related to not having updated in a long while.)

Then after the update completed, I saved the output of the log, which you can see below. After rebooting, the problem happened as described above, and I can no longer get into my Manjaro operating system.

From some searching and trying to diagnose and fix the problem, here’s some suspicious things worth mentioning, when using the terminal;

• startx gives an EE message “no screens found”
  • a command I found to install proprietary nvidia drivers gave an error “target not found, linux54nvidia” (something like that, I’m relying on memory now)

I saw someone saying that the nvidia drivers don’t work on the latest 5.9 kernel, not sure how old that post is.

I believe it’s a kernel update issue, because I paid attention to the logs and I saved them, and I saw a section in there about the kernel being updated. Below is the log, and below that is a warning dialogue that popped up, I was able to save the contents of that as well.

Output of the “Add/Remove Software” application; Manjaro update log - Pastebin.com
Contents of the “Warning” dialogue that popped up after: Manjaro update warning - Pastebin.com

FWIW, I’ve live booted in using an EndeavorOS USB, and here’s the output of inxi -F;

System:    Host: EndeavourOS Kernel: 5.13.12-arch1-1 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 
           Distro: EndeavourOS 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z170-AR v: Rev 1.xx serial: <superuser required> 
           UEFI-[Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 3801 date: 03/14/2018 
CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6700K bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 8 MiB 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 
           5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA TU106 [GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER] driver: nvidia v: 470.63.01 
           Device-2: Logitech Webcam C210 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo 
           Display: server: X.org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: nvidia 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo> 
           Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 100 Series/C230 Series Family HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA TU106 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-3: Logitech Webcam C210 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo 
           Device-4: Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ type: USB 
           driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
           Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.13.12-arch1-1 running: yes 
           Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V driver: e1000e 
           IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 30:5a:3a:57:35:80 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 8.65 TiB used: 2.39 TiB (27.6%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 970 EVO 500GB size: 465.76 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST31000528AS size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-3: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DL003-9VT166 size: 1.82 TiB 
           ID-4: /dev/sdc vendor: Seagate model: ST3000DM007-1WY10G size: 2.73 TiB 
           ID-5: /dev/sdd type: USB vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler G3 size: 3.61 GiB 
           ID-6: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: Hitachi model: G ST size: 2.73 TiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 10 GiB used: 134 MiB (1.3%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Swap:      Alert: No swap data was found. 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 33.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 250 Uptime: 38m Memory: 31.29 GiB used: 2.91 GiB (9.3%) Shell: Bash 
           inxi: 3.3.05 

Which log is that because it doesn’t contain any dates/times. Can you provide the relevant portion of /var/log/pacman.log instead?

Can you boot a Manjaro Live USB, chroot into the environment and provide the output to:

mhwd --listinstalled

Manjaro live USB and an inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be more useful. :sob:

Thanks @Fabby for starting to address the issue, thanks for your time (and for the guys who added the useful tags).

I would be curious to diagnose the problem. But since I’m behind schedule I decided to take the nuclear option and just fresh install and re-install my apps etc. As opposed to wait for the 24 hour turn around between communication from the other side of the world - provide info, get feedback, test something, provide more info, wait another day, etc.

For sure, if I encounter the same problem I’ll resurrect the thread and provide the info you requested.

Issue administratively closed as machine was reinstalled.