Stuck in [Stable Update] 2021-06-14 because it won't accept NO as decision

Hello guys,
I had a little problem with the update and i don’t know how to go on with the following steps now… please help me out.

I openend the terminal and used command sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syyu

After i saw the update is only 0,02MB big, i wanted to skip it and double check what pamac (GUI) will show there… but pacman don’t care that i pressed “n” to skip the update and just keep execution full system update, i don’t know what to do now… can i close the terminal or should i press N key again and again till all files skipped?

::INFO Mirror list generated and saved to: /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                           169.2 KiB  1819 KiB/s 00:00 [##########################################] 100%
 extra                                         1925.0 KiB  1799 KiB/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
 community                                        6.6 MiB  1762 KiB/s 00:04 [##########################################] 100%
 multilib                                       178.2 KiB  2.00 MiB/s 00:00 [##########################################] 100%
:: Some packages should be upgraded first...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) manjaro-system-20210612-1

Total Download Size:   0.02 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.00 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace lib32-libcanberra-pulse with multilib/lib32-libcanberra? [Y/n]

I got that same message and with the recommendation it updated correctly.

2 Likes

The problem i don’t updated the first 0.02MB package, im worried that lead to additional issues if i keep going with the update.

Please read carefully what is on your screen: you said n(o) to the installation of manjaro-system-20210612-1 package - not the whole update you initiated.
Rerun the update command and you’ll be asked again.

1 Like

yeah thats true, but i though the update will safely abort…

Would it lead to errors if i close the terminal now?

If an update is in progress in that terminal, let it complete.
Rerun the same command again after that.

Im just in the que message, i still had my terminal open and i had download anything yet.
Because i won’t make anything wrong… i didn’t download anything at all.

If the terminal has already finished its process, I would do the following:

sudo pamac checkupdates
sudo pamac update

Note. this is the first time I have used pamac to update my system and I was pleased that it did it well and without any problems.

1 Like

I’m still here:
:: Some packages should be upgraded first…
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…

:: Replace lib32-libcanberra-pulse with multilib/lib32-libcanberra? [Y/n] 

I close it and better just run pacman now instead pamac?

I could bet that if you let it continue with “Y” it’s going to fail as stated in my first post. And if you put “n” it aborts the update.

You put “n” – that mean abort update. You need to give “y” or just enter.

Thats not working… the terminal asked me for every single update now…

:: Replace lib32-libcanberra-pulse with multilib/lib32-libcanberra? [Y/n] n
:: Replace libcanberra-pulse with extra/libcanberra? [Y/n] n
:: Replace qca with extra/qca-qt5? [Y/n]

You can repeatedly press “Control-C” until the script gives up and terminates.

Occasionally I have done it without problem; maybe because at that time I can’t update for some reason, such as needing to mount a disk drive and I already know that certain updates prevent me from mounting drives.

1 Like

Thats works thanks, im updating with “pamac” (GUI) now and hope i won’t run in additional issues, atleast i used always timeshift but i never had to restore my backups yet.

1 Like

There is a warning Popup message from pamac now:

Warning: installing lib32-libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-4) breaks dependency ‘lib32-libcanberra=0.30+2+gc0620e4-3’ required by lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer
Add lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer to remove
Warning: installing libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-4) breaks dependency ‘libcanberra=0.30+2+gc0620e4-3’ required by libcanberra-gstreamer
Add libcanberra-gstreamer to remove

Should i manually remove it in terminal after the update is done?

At the time I got the same message, as I could not do anything I let it continue and pamac solved it on his own:

$ sudo pamac update     
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Warning: installing lib32-libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-4) breaks dependency 'lib32-libcanberra=0.30+2+gc0620e4-3' required by lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer
Add lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer to remove
Warning: installing libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-4) breaks dependency 'libcanberra=0.30+2+gc0620e4-3' required by libcanberra-gstreamer
Add libcanberra-gstreamer to remove
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To upgrade (147):
...(cut)
To remove (5):
  libcanberra-gstreamer             0.30+2+gc0620e4-3                                               
  lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer       0.30+2+gc0620e4-3                                               
  qca                               2.3.2-2                        (Conflicts With: qca-qt5)        
  lib32-libcanberra-pulse           0.30+2+gc0620e4-3                                               
  libcanberra-pulse                 0.30+2+gc0620e4-3                                               
  ...(cut)
  Upgrading lib32-libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-3 -> 0.30+2+gc0620e4-4)...  [86/150]

Trust in @philm :wink:

1 Like

Yeah thanks, i just pressed okay with the warning message and i saw the solution window after it.

Update just done, im restarting :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Everything working fine now :slight_smile:

btw. what is the best way to update manjaro?

i always used “sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syyu” but should i use a pamac in terminal instead the gui version… what is more stable or safer?

Will this command working for pamac?
sudo pamac-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pamac -Syyu

No. The correct is:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && pamac update

You shouldn’t use sudo with pamac, pamac will ask when needed.

2 Likes