Stuck at Black Screen after Update Before Restart

Dual boot Windows with Manjaro and Ubuntu. Switched to Manjaro and noticed there was an update (3.6GB). Started update and had some lunch. Came back after 30 minutes, moved mouse expecting login prompt and monitors powered up but no display. However I can hear constant activity on the HDD. Tried bringing up TTY but no joy.

Any suggestions? Don’t really want to hit reset while there is heavy hard drive activity but might have no choice. Sounds like it is caught in some kind of loop. It’s an RTX 3080 card in an ROG Z690 Hero. I suppose there are no key combinations that would help since I can’t bring up a terminal.

Randy

So I hit ctrl-alt-del a couple times in succession and the system rebooted. I am back in Manjaro an will have a look at the logs to see if I can figure out what happened. I have a hunch it went to sleep while in the middle of a driver update.

Randy

I think my hunch was correct. Saw about a million entries like this using journalctl --boot=-1 --no-pager:

NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 525.89.02, but
NVRM: this kernel module has the version 525.60.11.  Please
NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
NVRM: components have the same version.

Perhaps it’s better to hang around during updates, or use Caffeine-NG.

Randy

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.