Strange intermittent clipboard behaviour

I have KDE Plasma installed on two machines and I’m facing a very strange and annoying clipboard issue. Here’s the versions for the machine facing the issue:

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.113.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 6.6.10-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 16 × 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-11900 @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 62.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
Manufacturer: ASUS

Before I state the problem, I also need to add that I’m using the clipboard widget which stores up to 20 last copied items to report the history of my clipboard.

Now, the problem is that when I copy a new text item into the clipboard, it is moved to the second item of the clipboard history list every other time. I know this is very confusing. Let me explain it with an example.

I typed a list of numbers from 1 to 7 (1 2 3 4 5 6 7) and copied each digit (one at a time) into the clipboard. The following is the progress of my clipboard history:

Copying 1:

empty

Copying 2:

empty

Copying 3:

empty

Copying 4:

empty

Copying 5:

empty

Copying 6:

empty

Copying 7:

empty

empty was the text in my clipboard before I started the test. And to make things even stranger, this problem is not always present. It happens once in a while when I log into my user account. I’m not quite sure when or how often this behaviour occurs but it’s very annoying. Also, this has nothing to do how you issue the “copy” command, keyboard or mouse (R-Click).

I was wondering if anyone else has faced the same issue before?

I retested your scenario and it works fine for me

Screenshot_20240216_210628

If you have enabled synchronization between your primary selection (when you select text it’s automatically copied and can be paste via mouse middle click) and clipboard selection (ctrl+c, ctrl+v, copy/paste actions), then try to disable it or at least disable automatic copy on selection in Klipper settings

1 Like

Thanks for testing. It’s fine on my other computer as well (I’m only experiencing this behaviour on one machine and not all the times).

And my settings are pretty much aligned with what you suggested:

But still this strange behaviour happens from time to time (it’s intermittent).

Check if the shortcut for floating list (Meta+v) is activated and see if it also happens to it ?

Meta+v is active. But I’m not sure what you mean by “if it also happens to it”? It shows the same clipboard history list as the one from System Tray.

For the record, as I’m typing this new replies, the behaviour is gone but I’m sure it will be back since it was not the first time it had happened.

Just to provide more food for thought, I also have KDE Connect and clipboard sharing enabled across all my devices (two computers and two hand-held devices).