Steam shows black screen only since last update

Steam only shows a black screen since the last update.
Opting in or out for Steam beta changes nothing.

Workaround: Start Steam in Terminal

LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libharfbuzz.so steam
2 Likes

This is me, confirming the workaround. Thanks, man!

1 Like

:+1: Thank you for sharing! :+1:

However, could you do me a favour and:

• edit your question by pressing the 3 dots and the pencil icon
  • make it into a real question
  • cut and paste the solution into a reply to your own question
  • click the 3 dots below your own answer to mark a solution like this:
    Solution
    so that you get come extra credits for not only posting about it but posting the solution as well!

:crossed_fingers:

P.S. Your solution was already incorporated into the update wiki solutions

2 Likes

Weird I thought this was fixed already in the normal Steam client (issue is one month old, fixed since then in the Steam beta client back then, to this day).

//EDIT: yep, last month issue [Testing Update] 2021-09-02 - Kernels, Systemd, Wine, Deepin, KDE Gear, Maui-Kit, Plasma - #18 by stephane
//EDIT2: and in the known issues there too [Stable Update] 2021-09-04 - Kernels, Wine, Deepin, KDE Gear, Maui-Kit, Plasma - #3 by philm

Weird you just got the issue now.

I switched to the beta last month and since then no issue, to this day.

Here is the Steam issue Built-in browser incompatible with freetype2 2.11.0 · Issue #7935 · ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux · GitHub

2 Likes

I ran into the same issue last week, and found that when I chose “big picture” after clicking the steam icon in the task bar, it was starting a usable version as well.
Interestingly enough, the next time I started steam after that it was coming up normal, but there was possibly an update in between, so I’m not necessarily attribute this to the use of “big picture” mode.

1 Like

Reinstalling Steam via pacman also works.

1 Like