[Steam] Recently Civ VI stops to launch

Hi,

When I try to launch Civ VI the following console output has appeared:

GameAction [AppID 289070, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
GameAction [AppID 289070, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 289070, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 289070, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 289070, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Game update: AppID 289070 "", ProcID 5605, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 5605 for game ID 289070
GameAction [AppID 289070, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
GameAction [AppID 289070, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/gray/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/gray/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
./GameGuide/Civ6: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Done_MM_Var
>>> Adding process 5606 for game ID 289070
Game removed: AppID 289070 "", ProcID 5605 
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

Any help will be appreciated.

1 Like

A forum search of symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Done_MM_Var will reveal more about the problem. :grinning:

Basically the game wants a libfontconfig older than available on Manjaro. There are several possible workarounds:

1. Uninstall steam-native to force the game to run with the steam runtimes
  2. Use STEAM_RUNTIME=1 steam to launch with steam runtimes
  3. Alternatively it may be possible to run the game with the native runtimes by passing LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libfreetype.so

Personally I would use number 2., but whatever you are comfortable with. :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve had some success in the past using LD_DEBUG=libs to find out where a game is looking for libraries and in what order.

In some cases, a game will check the executable’s folder, or a subdirectory therein, fairly early in the process. In such a case it’s fairly trivial to override system libraries by placing a symlink to a steam version of a library in the appropriate location.

Or in the case of an obscure/obsolete lib that I otherwise don’t have/want installed system wide, unpack a copy of the lib there only.

Hi,

1. Nothing to uninstall :wink:
$ pacman -Qs steam
local/steam-devices 0.2-2
    Udev rules for controllers to work with steam
local/steam-manjaro 1.0.0.56-1
    Valve's digital software delivery system
  1. Same issue:
$ STEAM_RUNTIME=1 steam steam://rungameid/289070

./GameGuide/Civ6: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Done_MM_Var
  1. It works:
$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libfreetype.so  steam steam://rungameid/289070

Thanks a lot!

4 Likes

I had the same issue with the game but I also didn’t have libfreetype.so. So to fix that I used
pacman -S freetype2. Just in case someone else has the same problem as me.

Thanks a lot guys!

It loads now but this causes my video card selection in-game to be forced to Intel rather than my nvidia. I’m using nvidia prime.

I would recommend to try the Flatpak version of Steam just to see if you still have the same issues.
To access your installed games set permissions with:

flatpak override --user --filesystem=/path/to/your/other/games com.valvesoftware.Steam

Try using
$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libfreetype.so steam to launch steam and then specifying as a launch option from within steam (right-click on game in library) for Civ6 either primusrun %command% or optirun %command%.

Unfortunately this does not work out for me. It is still displaying that I use my intel HD graphics. What I do think is that I am still using my dedicated GPU but I cannot confirm that. Is there a way to check this easily?
Can it be a bug in Civ IV that it only shows you intel HD graphics when you run optirun or primusrun? Or do some people see the dedicated graphics card there?

You could try
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
to see the current vga kernel driver (hence GPU in use assuming they are different brands)

It is possible that it is a bug in the Civilization games to misreport the gpu on steam. This was certainly happening for some users with Civ V on windows.

I don’t run dual graphic cards (currently) so can’t respond to your third question. :smiley:

Thank you for the answer!
When I run Civ VI and execute the command I get the following output.

➜  ~  lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
	Kernel driver in use: i915
➜  ~ lspci -knn | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0416] (rev 06)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [1043:177d]
	Kernel driver in use: i915
--
01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce 845M] [10de:1398] (rev a2)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GM107M [GeForce 845M] [1043:177d]
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

So it is indeed using the intel hd graphics unfortunately. I will dive into the bumblebee wiki once more :slight_smile:

If you don’t have success with bumblebee there are a couple of other options for configuring your drivers.

A good overview of the common options here: [HowTo] Set up PRIME with NVIDIA proprietary driver and tutorial for setting up ‘prime’.

For ‘optimus manager’ see the thread here: Optimus Manager

If you are adventurous (or wanting to help test something new) it could also be worth looking at: Call for testing: optimus-switch

Better off replying in the relevant thread (or making a new one) than here if you have related questions/problems. :grinning:

1 Like