Steam games crash after minutes of gameplay

Let me start with some background:

I’m a new linux user and have no issue troubleshooting problems, I think it’s a great learning experience but this issue has been somewhat of a dead end. With respect to the distros I was in between Pop! OS and Manjaro and decided to go with Manjaro KDE Plasma. I installed this on my HP Omen as a partition, and have not been using Windows since. I love this OS and want it to work as my daily but I have a bizarre issue with running games.

The issue:

Whenever I start a game (for me Garry’s Mod or Civ V) I get 2-10 minutes of game play before the game just closes without any warning or error message. I have no clue how to find or read logs so that hasn’t helped, and I don’t know of anyone else with this issue. I’ve also used Simple Monitor and some terminal commands to view the activity of my CPU, GPU and RAM during gaming. Right after the crash I see nothing that suggests an issue. (CPU usage isn’t crazy neither is temperature, GPU usage is about 50%, RAM is barely used.) The CPU cores seem to be a little odd as only one will have 100% and that load will bounce from core to core but I was told this is normal behavior. For the record I use Proton Experimental but also used 5.13-4 and there was no change. I also have WINE installed and have tried this with a few different packages from WINE.

I don’t know how this forum works but all of my system info is integrated into my profile. I don’t mind switching distributions, but if I do I don’t want it to be because I couldn’t figure out how to solve this issue.

Please if anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Anything obvious in ‘sudo dmesg’ or ‘journalctl --since=today’ ?

This is my first time using either command, but these are what stood out to me:

IRQ 154: no longer affine to CPU1
smpboot: CPU 1 is now offline
(happens for cpus 1-6)

nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: LGD (DP-2): G-SYNC Compatible: ED>

WARNING: GPU:0: LGD (DP-2): G-SYNC Compatible: EDID min refresh r
ate invalid, disabling G-SYNC Compatible.

supports DRM functions and may not be fully accessible

No handler for Region [CMS0] (0000000004bfdf52) [SystemCMOS] (2020071
7/evregion-127)
Region SystemCMOS (ID=5) has no handler (20200717/exfldio-261)
Aborting method _SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0._Q33 due to previous error (AE_NOT
_EXIST) (20200717/psparse-529)

i2c timeout error e0000000
i2c_transfer failed -110
ucsi_ccg_init failed - -110

PPM init failed (-110)

Not sure if these could be an issue?

That’s probably okay… It sounds like something with the games themselves causing the crash. Try googling “civ5 manjaro crash”