Steam doesn't start, says trouble connecting to steam servers

You are up to date, except wallpapers, that does not seem like a issue.

Do you have steam-native installed or steam-native-runtime ?
Does reinstalling do anything and what does it output?

I have installed steam-manjaro, reinstalling just gives normal output, didn’t even know there was steam-native should I try it?

Steam reinstall output:

tract in ~ ❯ sudo pacman -Syu steam                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               17:23:36
[sudo] password for root: 
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for root: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
warning: steam-manjaro-1.0.0.68-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: gnome-wallpapers: local (20201023-1) is newer than community (20201020-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) steam-manjaro-1.0.0.68-1

Total Installed Size:  2,92 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0,00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                                            [##########################################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                                                                          [##########################################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                                                               [##########################################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                                                                         [##########################################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                                                                       [##########################################################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling steam-manjaro                                                                                                                                          [##########################################################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/4) Reloading device manager configuration...
(2/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(3/4) Updating icon theme caches...
(4/4) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

Edit: Same issue with steam-native
Tried pinging client-download.steampowered.com and it didn’t work, but pinging media.steampowered.com worked so it should’ve downloaded the manifest, but even on media.steampowered.com it still says error http 0:

[2021-02-13 19:40:22] Checking for available updates...
[2021-02-13 19:40:22] Downloading manifest: client-download.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1612493737)
[2021-02-13 19:40:22] Download failed: http error 0 (client-download.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12)
[2021-02-13 19:40:22] Downloading manifest: media.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12
[2021-02-13 19:40:23] Download failed: http error 0 (media.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12)
[2021-02-13 19:40:23] DownloadManifest - exhausted list of download hosts

Also I can login from browser and it works, and can download the manifest from that URL if I just paste it into the browser.

I really don’t know what else to try, if someone sees this I’m willing to try anything

After checking the Arch forums I’ve found a solution that worked on my install of Manjaro for a similar problem. All I had to was enable the nscd service with “sudo systemctl enable --now nscd.service”.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @arrrr and thanks for the tip :smiley:

Thank you so much that was it <3

That’s weird, I don’t have it enabled, yet I have no issue with Steam.

[omano@omano-nvme ~]$ systemctl status nscd.service
● nscd.service - Name Service Cache Daemon
 Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nscd.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
 Active: inactive (dead)

Same here. Making me think it’s some other bug in the system. That’s good at hide-and-go-seek!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.