Started using i3 and now I can't press tab to find programs I'm looking for on pacman

I started using the i3 window manager and now when I try to download something the tab function no longer works, I could still download the programs as long as I have the exact name which most of the time is a pain since I’ll have to look it up and wastes a lot of time, is this standard with i3 and is there a way to change it?

Probably somewhere in your .bashrc or .zshrc and/or missing packages.
Did you replace or remove anything?

I didn’t change anything, I started using i3 with a fresh install and this happened before I even downloaded anything

So you mean its a new install from an i3 ISO ?

It doesnt really matter how you ended up where you are … the point is that your autocomplete isnt working … that requires certain things, which are dependant on, for example, your default shell.

In the case of bash you need bash-completion installed and something like the following in .bashrc:

[ -r /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ] && . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion

For zsh … eh, I dont know off the top of my head.

Anyhoo . we can start there … what shell? and what does your .*rc file look like? And do you have any appropriate completion packages pacman -Qs complet ?

thank you for trying to help but I found a fix, I just had to type “complete -cf sudo” into the terminal

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.