Start job is running for a network device that does not exist

Hi everyone,

first of all I am a beginner and may have messed some stupid things up somewhere, so I hope I have not broken something completely obscure but anything is possible.

My problem is that while booting, I get a start job is running for /sys/subsystem/net/devices/eth0 , which times out after 90 seconds and makes for a very long boot. I’ve looked around for similar problems and the only thing I found was to disable the dhcpcd service for this device, or to look around in the etc/systemd/system folder for anything suspicious.

However I could not find anything related to the name eth0 anywhere I looked, be it a dhcpcd service, a device name on ip addr or in any config files or folder names I checked. So I’m guessing the start job is waiting for a device that does not exist? My ethernet network interface is called eno2 .
Basically, I don’t even know how to look for a solution here.

What is the output of

systemctl status dhcpcd@interface_name

?

Hi @LinieKiste :wink:

Could you open a terminal and type:

systemd-analyze blame

and

systemd-analyze critical-chain

and post it here as code? That way you should see which service is running so long at booting.

How to format code

~~~
paste the code here
~~~
or
```
paste the code here
```

I’m assuming you mean dhcpcd@eth0 in this case, but I did it with the literal “interface_name” as well and they both returned something like this:

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dhcpcd@.service; disabled; vendor >
    Active: inactive (dead)```

systemd-analyze blame gives me this:

2.121s updatedb.service                                                         
 739ms lvm2-monitor.service                                                     
 675ms man-db.service                                                           
 643ms dev-nvme0n1p3.device                                                     
 582ms upower.service                                                           
 569ms systemd-logind.service                                                   
 483ms mnt-Storage.mount                                                        
 388ms systemd-random-seed.service                                              
 278ms systemd-modules-load.service                                             
 253ms var-lib-snapd-snap-core18-1885.mount                                     
 251ms var-lib-snapd-snap-spotify-42.mount                                      
 243ms systemd-udevd.service                                                    
 240ms systemd-journald.service                                                 
 236ms apparmor.service                                                         
 235ms var-lib-snapd-snap-core18-1932.mount                                     
 234ms var-lib-snapd-snap-snapd-9721.mount                                      
 228ms var-lib-snapd-snap-spotify-43.mount                                      
 214ms tlp.service                                                              
 213ms systemd-timesyncd.service                                                
 131ms snapd.service                                                            
 122ms udisks2.service                                                          
 120ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service                                           
 101ms user@1000.service   

systemd-analyze critical-chain gives me this:

The time when unit became active or started is printed after the "@" character.
The time the unit took to start is printed after the "+" character.

graphical.target @1min 30.471s
└─lightdm.service @1min 30.428s +42ms
  └─systemd-user-sessions.service @1min 30.411s +16ms
    └─nss-user-lookup.target @1min 30.439s