Standard Partitions and Good Practices

Hi! I’m here to ask some help regarding the Good Practices on while creating the partitions on a manjaro installation and What is recommended.
I understand that there are some well known partitions like:

• Boot
  • swap
  • root
  • home

But I have some questions about them such as:

• Their Recommended Sizes
  • Why they are the most common ?
  • What other partitions you guys recommend using

I will use a 1TB M.2 SSD and A 1TB HDD with 24GB of RAM

Should I make a recovery/backup partition on my HDD ?
What changes if I want to install UEFI mode ?

I dont do that. And a lot of people dont.
Putting your home on a separate partition makes it easier to reinstall.
swap can be a partition, but could also be a service/file.
boot(or boot/efi) is only required for EFI systems … and you likely already have one.
Multiple systems can use the same ESP (efi system partition) so you can use the one already there, and should if dual-booting.
In that way … if you dont count the ESP, my linux only takes up the regular root (/) partition.

If you must know … Swap should usually be ~half of RAM minimum, and root should be at least 20-40 Gigs depending on how much you install. Home is harder to guess … because it hold all your configs and personal files and cache. ESP can be tiny, but a common recommendation is 512mb. Which is almost always overkill.
I’d say just cut a big partition in your SSD and use that (+ESP). But its all up to you.

Oh yeah … as always see the archwiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning#Partition_scheme

So, I should only make a separate Home partition ? What Is ESP and what is it used for ? If it’s not too much to ask. I’m making this threads because I want to be prepared when I install the system and use it to it’s full potential. Another question I have is if I should make a partition on my harddrive to store some backups of the system

And What do you mean by I already have one ? I’ll be installing in a new ssd so propably will not have this partition.

Sorry If I’m being annoying with my threads is just that if I search on google I have a lot of information which I don’t know if it’s correct. I prefer to ask here since the people here already have experience with the operating system.

Hi Werner,

he meant you will probably already have an EFI partition when you convert oder dual-boot a Windows PC. On a new SSD you will not have one, of course. I figure your PC is new or not too old from the specs, so you will want to boot in UEFI mode!
Create a ~512MB partition for UEFI-bootfiles, let it be formated FAT32. Skip creating a SWAP partition, let swap use a file on your root-partition. It is up to you wether you create a separate /home-partition. I surely do and it saved my a$$ a couple of times already when I distro hopped and played around with my system… I could then just reinstall the system and still have my home-Data untouched (and un-formatted).
My setup is different, though: 256GB M2 SSD with Windows (100 GB) , UEFI (512 MB) and the rest for Manjaro’s root partition on it plus a 1 TB 2.5" SSD with 750 GB /home and 250 GB Windows-D-drive on it.

Nice, Thanks for your contribution. Do you know anything about creating a partition to store timeshift ?

You’re welcome!
Nice that my humble thoughts have helped a little. I’m quite new to Manjaro, but fiddling with computers since the Amiga days.

On Timeshift…not really familiar, but…
I use Back in Time with an external USB HDD. If it’s anything similar, you create a big enough partition somewhere (preferably NOT your local disk), mount it and set it as a target in your backup software.

Yeah, I don`t have an external drive so, I thinking of using my HDD partition it in 2 parts, 1 with Data stuff and 2 with 10GB just to make a backup, since I never know when It can break lol. And since my system will be stored at my ssd, I thought that using a part of my hdd to make some sort of backup/recovery just like in windows I have a way to create a restore point.

Probably a shocker to you: I do not backup my system at all. Only my Data partitions.

Because the system is installed in 10 minutes, core apps are installed in 20 min. Settings, documents and photos are stored in my home- and data partitions. These need protection.

3 Likes

Oh, Ok. I was planning of backing up just so I don’t mess up too much and can go back.Whatdo you store in the Data Partition ?

Anything you dont need to be fast. Like your trove of movies or things you want windoze to have easy access to (linux can easily mount and read windoze … not so much the other way around) - it can have the dual-function of being a ‘shared’ directory between the OSs. .

2 Likes

Oh, I was theoryzing the same thing. it would be something like you said, big archives and something like copies of official docs, pdfs

Hello Werner,

well, one of my “Data Partitions” actually is /home. So I do backup my user directories. The other Data Partition is indeed the Windows D-Drive (as Data exchange). Then there is a USB-Drive with old downloads (that cannot be downloaded again), home movies and such that is permanently mounted when the laptop is docked and those three partitions are backed up to another drive (USB HDD again).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.