[Stable Update] 2024-05-29 - Kernels, Plasma 6.0.5, GNOME 46.2, Mesa

Can anybody help on how to solve the following error:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicui18n.so=74-64' required by electron25
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency 'libicuuc.so=74-64' required by electron25

Remove electron25? Which is an AUR package, so not supported, anyway.

pamac remove electron25

Or

pamac remove electron25-bin
1 Like

spectre-meltdown-checker was referenced in the Packages-Root file

you need to pull the latest changes to our iso-profiles repo

1 Like

The same thing happens to me, once I log in I get the desktop, I can see the mouse moving but it doesn’t respond to anything.
It does not load any widget on the screen, I hear the sound of notifications and I do not know if the same thing happens to you but I get the sound icon muted.
I am new here and I have little time with Manjaro I would like to learn and be able to find the problem and solve it I do not know if there is an open thread with the specific topic because I do not know what is wrong, if it is not the place to post it I apologize.

1 Like

Welcome @starmito ! :slight_smile:

You will be better starting your own new thread rather than jumping on someone else’s since your hardware and software configuration won’t be the same.

Please don’t forget to post system info in that thread; inxi -zv8 at the minimum. (See [HowTo] Request support for some useful Forum guidance).

Cheers! :beers:

1 Like

Hi @starmito
I just opened a new thread for me:

Feel free to watch it, in case there are responses which might help you identify your root cause as well. However your own thread as @BG405 suggested is a good idea when you have a different configuration/ setup than I have.

If you open a new thread, please ping me and I’ll watch your thread as well.

1 Like

If you mean manjaro-pacnew-checker.
Its been around for a long time.
Since at least last August.

And it still has problems like automatically wanting to remove files even if you didnt manage them, and until recently (today?) it had problems parsing the file paths correctly.

(a special warning to those of you who may use it - especially before the recent hotfix)

2 Likes

Not really, i was just talking about the mkinitcpio changes which came out 14 days ago. Because probably a good amount of user’s maybe would had merged this .pacnew file already as it was new.

1 Like

Got error while hibernating after this update:

Failed to put system to sleep. System resumed again: Device or resource busy

My system does not boot up properly after updating with pamac(gui). It get’s stuck during the boot sequence around the time plymouth is mentioned and does not carry on.

I rerolled with Timeshift and tried updating again with yay but that does not change a thing.

Pretty anoying.

:mag: “disable plymouth” :wink:

Make a backup copy of the .conf file before merging changes from the .pacnew file

sudo cp /etc/mkinitcpio.conf /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.old

If manjaro-pacnew-checker is not working well, users should also be suggested to install and use meld (or kcompare for KDE) to merge the .pacnew file

meld "admin:///etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew" "admin:///etc/mkinitcpio.conf"

Recent posts this year show some users did not merge /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew from last year (to remove the community repository)
There will always be new users arriving that do not know about managing .pacnew files

2 Likes

So reboot isn’t enabled right now:

0 – disable sysrq completely
1 – enable all functions of sysrq
>1 – bitmask of allowed sysrq functions (see below for detailed function
description):
2 = 0x2 – enable control of console logging level
4 = 0x4 – enable control of keyboard (SAK, unraw)
8 = 0x8 – enable debugging dumps of processes etc.
16 = 0x10 – enable sync command
32 = 0x20 – enable remount read-only
64 = 0x40 – enable signalling of processes (term, kill, oom-kill)
128 = 0x80 – allow reboot/poweroff
256 = 0x100 – allow nicing of all RT tasks

(from SysRq – The not so known key)

I think manjaro-pacnew-checker should be part of the default Manjaro installation.
Just like on Debian or Gentoo for example where you’re asked by default if you want to view and merge or keep the new one or the existing one.

Update itself went smoothly, but wasn’t able to install kernel 6.9.2 after the update:

(4/4) Updating Grub-Bootmenu
Fehler: Befehl konnte nicht korrekt ausgeführt werden
GRUB-Konfigurationsdatei wird erstellt …
cat: Schreibfehler: Auf dem Gerät ist kein Speicherplatz mehr verfügbar

Translation: write error due to no more empty space on device. On /boot there are ~130 of 512 MB free, however and I had actually recently deleted several old kernels.

The alternative or ‘original’ is pacdiff. Which can be used with any diff program.

DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff -s

Which is still preferred for a number of reasons. Including these from man

1.   Temporary copies are made of the files to be edited with the owner set to the invoking user.

2.   The editor specified by the policy is run to edit the temporary files.  The sudoers policy uses the SUDO_EDITOR, VISUAL and EDITOR environment variables (in  that order).  If none of SUDO_EDITOR, VISUAL or EDITOR are set, the first program listed in the editor sudoers(5) option is used.

3.   If they have been modified, the temporary files are copied back to their original location and the temporary versions are removed.

To help prevent the editing of unauthorized files, the following restrictions are enforced unless explicitly allowed by the security policy:

•  Symbolic links may not be edited (version 1.8.15 and higher).

•  Symbolic links along the path to be edited are not followed when the parent directory is writable by the invoking user unless that user is root (version 1.8.16 and higher).

•  Files located in a directory that is writable by the invoking user may not be edited unless that user is root (version 1.8.16 and higher).

Users are never allowed to edit device special files.

If the specified file does not exist, it will be created.  Unlike most commands run by sudo, the editor is run with the invoking user's environment unmodified.  If the temporary  file  becomes  empty  after editing, the user will be prompted before it is installed.  If, for some reason, sudo is unable to update a file with its edited version, the user will receive a warning and the edited copy will remain in a temporary file.
3 Likes

True Story, that’s why i wrote… better late than never. :innocent:

Thanks, went ahead and changed it to 1.

Note that it won’t be permanent unless you do

su
kernel.sysrq = 1 > /etc/sysctl.d/sysrq.conf

To enable it at each boot.

Finally switched away from nividia-390. Seeing great snappy swiftness in Wayland on my i3 :slight_smile:

I encountered a message in pacman.log that I don’t think I have seen before. In this forum only mentioned in the [ARM not stable thread]:

WARNING: No module containing the symbol 'drm_privacy_screen_register' found in: 'drivers/platform

EDIT: For some reason, I’m seeing the wrong cursor theme in SDDM although it is still

[Theme]
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors

in sddm.conf

Unfortunately resetting/deleting the files doesn’t fix the issue. I just edited them manually for my needs. Seems to be a real bug in systemsettings, it’s already on the corresponding KDE bug tracker.