[Stable Update] 2024-05-29 - Kernels, Plasma 6.0.5, GNOME 46.2, Mesa

Is the version of the mesa package on GitLab lower than the version of this update?
Can the dilemma be clarified a little?

@soundofthunder
After the system rebooted, the usual procedure ended up successful.

sudo pacman -Syu

You were right, it wasn’t enough for my gear.

The obvious thing to do would be to hold off doing the upgrade until the announcement appears. It’s not as if you’re forced to do it immediately as I’m told Windows users are.

Don’t forget, the developers are volunteers and have lives (and jobs?) to get on with as well.

5 Likes

Well, it resulted with further investigations (thanks to the folks of that thread) that it was (as it usually is) a user (myself) error. I had a dangling (but not marked orphaned, probably some “suggested” dependency) qgnomeplatform-qt6 from AUR that was the final culprit. Removing it fixed everything.

I have Manjaro GNOME installed with LUKS1 encryption.

After the last update, I am getting the following boot error, and boot fails:

ERROR: device ‘/dev/mapper/luks-xyz’ not found.

Skipping fsck.

mount: /new_root: no valid filesystem type specified.

ERROR: Failed to mount ‘/dev/mapper/luks-xyz’ on real root.

You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.

sh: can’t access tty: job control turned off.

[rootfs: ~]#

where “xyz” is the long hexadecimal sequence.

I can not fix the problem. Any help will be appreciated.

After upgrading directly to this update release, I only get the warning for those very old kernels 4.19, 5.4, 5.10

Will see if it can be fixed by reinstalling them simply.

Continuing the discussion from [Stable Update] 2024-05-18 - Linux-Firmware, PHP, Gitlab, Qt6:

The hooks look fine in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf now:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect microcode modconf kms keyboard keymap consolefont block filesystems fsck)

Comparing to the warning in pacman.log:

[2024-05-29T22:44:45+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] WARNING: The 'plymouth-encrypt' and 'sd-plymouth' hooks are depreciated. You should replace them with 'encrypt' and 'plymouth' hooks in your 'mkinitcpio.conf'. The 'lxdm-plymouth.service', 'lightdm-plymouth.service' and 'sddm-plymouth.service' systemd service files are no longer recommended. You should enable 'lxdm.service', 'lightdm.service' or 'sddm.service' instead.

And there are no files in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.d/

Updated within KDE GUI (Wayland). No Issues but Firefox acting weird like unclickable buttons until i min/maximize. But its not crashing anymore like it did on unstable.

No Issues with gaming. 555.42.02 NVIDIA 4080 TI

1 Like

Congratulations for this new stable update, no issues so far.

but, something go wrong during a stable build iso image

error: target not found: spectre-meltdown-checker
[nls@lap ~]$ sudo buildiso -f -p kde -b stable -k linux66 2024.05.30
[sudo] password for nls: 
 --> Profile: [kde]
==> Start building [kde]
==> Cleaning up ...
  -> Deleting chroot [rootfs] (x86_64) ...
  -> Deleting isoroot [iso] ...
 --> Loading Packages: [Packages-Root] ...
==> Prepare [Base installation] (rootfs)
 --> mirror: https://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch
==> Creating install root at /var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/kde/x86_64/rootfs
  -> Installing packages to /var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/kde/x86_64/rootfs
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core      139,8 KiB   518 KiB/s 00:00   [###############################] 100%
 extra     8,3 MiB       17,1 MiB/s 00:00 [###############################] 100%
 multilib  144,9 KiB   495 KiB/s 00:00   [###############################] 100%
error: target not found: spectre-meltdown-checker
==> ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root
==> ERROR: Failed to install all packages
[nls@lap ~]$ 

spectre-meltdown-checker has gone don’t think its in root packages, is it in your desktop packages if it is remove it

1 Like

Did you try booting from USB/disk into a rescue system and mounting the volume manually inside of that? Did that work? If yes, do you have the encrypt hook in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

I don’t use Wayland (maybe i should try it again, not sure) but no, i can not see the ink levels in the printer setting gui. No one has suggested a shell command to access it either, so i think i will have to buy a new printer. So now i start searching for that. :frowning: Anyhow, screen shots here

I’m still working on the VPN, I’m starting to suspect its just a coincidence that it stopped working at the same time as the update. I’m waiting for a response from my vpn provider.

Yea i am watching it being worked on. As i say i wouldn’t say anything if kde had a working calendar of its own.

Sure i could, if i wanted it sometime this decade. I wouldn’t know where to even start.

I never reed the announcements before, i did not know how it was supposed to work. I suspected it was more likely a mistake on my part, so i asked.

After the update, the keyring database got corrupted, so that sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux69 wasn’t possible (The full error has scrolled off the recall in konsole but is was a corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature) error.

After rummaging through the forums I found the following sequence that works:

sudo rm -rf /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate
sudo pacman -S manjaro-keyring archlinux-keyring

Then I was able to install the 6.9 kernel.

I’m not sure why the gpg database got messed, but am posting this in case it happens to anyone else.

3 Likes

Update was smooth, cheers again.

1 Like

There was not the encrypt hook in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.

Thank you very much.

How can I run the equivalent of local:

mkinitcpio -P

in the GNOME Live .iso, so as to fix the issue?

Thank you.

1 Like

the xz version 5.6.2 has been released that fix the malicious backdoor, while it’s still
xz 5.6.1-3. in stable. it’s worth to update it in the packages to fix the story finally.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, everything went well!

1 Like

Only one minor obvious issue; radicale now spams the journal with verbose messages. As there’s no obvious way to lower its verbosity level, I fixed this by creating a radicale.service override file redirecting its output to a log file.
Edit: this can be changed by editing the configuration file and adding the following line to the [logging] section:
level = error

Just mentioning in case anyone else happens to be using it and wants a fix.

Tooltips do not appear when I mouse over buttons when I use the Qt6 version of Double Commander. When I use the Qt5-version, tooltips work. Maybe upgrading qt6-base has something to do with it. I have posted a report on the Double Commander forum. Tooltips not shown on Qt6, are OK on Qt5

Tooltips work fine in Dolphin and LibreOffice, so no worries.

I never was in that situation but I think the right way would be to chroot into your system and then run mkinitcpio. You could also try something along the lines of mkinitcpio --config /path/to/mkinitcpio.conf --generate initramfs-x.x-x86_64.img and then manually replace the image in /boot but I am not sure about that. Maybe somebody else can chime in? I think chroot is the “correct” way.

Hi everyone, sorry I’m new to manjaro and I hope you will have a little patience. I have a question regarding the latest update. After the update I started:
“pacnew-checker” and it reported the presence of mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew. With Meld I saw the differences between the two files. I never made any changes in the original mkinitcpio.conf file, can I replace the original file with the new one? I believe and correct me if I’m wrong that the spirit of “pacnew” is to prevent a configuration file, perhaps modified by the administrator, from being overwritten without first being checked and possibly reporting the changes to the new one?
Thank you for your availability

1 Like