[Stable Update] 2024-05-13 - Kernels, Plasma 6, Gnome 46, LxQT 2.0, Nvidia, Pacman

The output of whereis bash:

bash: /usr/bin/bash /usr/lib/bash /usr/include/bash /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1.gz /usr/share/info/bash.info.gz

Edit:

Did you do the pacnews for .bashrc?

I don’t know what this means :sweat_smile:

Go to you rootfolder and search “pacnew”. Tell me how many files you find and maybe list them. When was your original install?

Hum, here are some examples from Firefox:

Probably the problem is the application that throws the notification, but in these examples there is a title and I think it is still a bit decompressed… (The title and the image are not properly aligned). No?

1 Like

A file doesn’t equal a package.

What if you try

sudo chvt 3

The original installation was more than a year ago…

Is there a command I can use to list the pacnew files? something with grep maybe? I’m not very good with the commands I just copy paste from the internet :innocent:

Hi, I’m using KDE plasma - I’ve done update according to Philm’s manual, but after that I had to switch back via Timeshift. System was after update nearly unusable. I’m thinking about clean installation, because I’ve done many customisations over time and I don’t keep tracks over them. Also I’ve some troubles with current Plasma… I have / and /home on separated disc, so I should loose settings from apps, right? But I’m not sure, that this also can transfer some Plasma related bugs to new system?

This does the same thing as control+alt+F3 i’m guessing, I tried running this in terminal and the same thing happens. It kind of switches to tty but it’s only a black screen as before, there is no text or login prompt or anything the screen just stays blank until I control+alt+F2 back the GUI again…

1 Like

Huge problem with Gnome here. I get stuck on the login screen after the password prompt. The password placeholders grey out and nothing else happens:

When I then shut down the computer from the login screen, there is a warning prompt telling me that another user (my user name) is still logged in. So it looks like the login somehow works in the background, but Gnome hangs

Happens with both kernels 6.8.9-3 and 6.6.30-2, so I guess it’s Gnome related

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Had several issues:
1 st. update run into initramfs-problem

could bypass with fallback 6.6 installation

apps disapeared - bash did not work, could execute some steps with krunner

app problem solved by reinstalling one app with pamac, solved the link with most of the apps

pdfsam requires reinstall

still having problems with dolpin rights on nfs-mounts
doublecommander does not have the rights-problem

sudo pacman -S pacman-contrib
pacdiff --locate
#or
pacdiff --find

1 Like

Ok, second update…
Major issues with 6.9, I revert back to 6.6 (I was using this before) and most of them solved.
However, I have constant freezes on applications that try to use the filesystem.
NotepadQQ hangs often when trying to open a file, or even reload it when opening the app.
Firefox when saving, and even Dolphin, when try to copy/move files.

This is a clean installation, on the same system that previous version was working perfect.

1 Like

Sounds like a failing disk to me…

1 Like

Getting this error from pacman -Syu:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing clang (17.0.6-2) breaks dependency 'clang=16.0.6' required by shiboken2

I have both shiboken2 (AUR package) and shiboken6 (Official repositories (extra)) as prerequisites for other programs (pyside6 needs shiboken6). Both shiboken2 and shiboken6 specify clang=16.0.6 with explicit equality.

What to do in this case?

EDIT: I temporily uninstalled shiboken2.

Any ideas, what is the problem here and how to solve it?

Search path is now: [/usr/share/applications]
File "/usr/share/applications/htop.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/avahi-discover.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/org.kde.plasma-systemmonitor.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/xdvi.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/kcm_autostart.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/kcm_virtualkeyboard.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/kcm_energyinfo.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/org.kde.kleopatra.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/kcm_lookandfeel.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/jconsole-java-openjdk.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/system-config-printer.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/kcm_kwintabbox.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/org.kde.kdeconnect.sms.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/gkbd-keyboard-display.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/kcm_users.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/gprename.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/xsane.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/bvnc.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/org.gnupg.pinentry-qt5.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/discord.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/kcm_pulseaudio.desktop" lacks MimeType key
File "/usr/share/applications/fish.desktop" lacks MimeType key

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

I found the solution: It was my installation of gdm-prime (instead of gdm) used for optimus manager to switch between dedicated graphics card and internal graphics that didn’t work. After replacing gdm-prime with gdm via TTY it worked again.

1 Like

The second one is more accurate because it only searches for ‘foreign’ packages.
And the only things you need to manually rebuild on your end would be foreign packages.

shiboken2 is an AUR packages. IT is highly unlikely you actually need it.

Double bad idea. Dont replace gdm.
Also . dont use optimus-manager.
If you really need a switching utility (do you?) then use a reasonable one like envycontrol.

does not hit the stable branch.
Issue is solved anyway now.

Well, after update (when the action should be performed) there can’t possibly be anything else than “foreign” packages in that folder.

I’d suggest creating a new user, and using that to login after the update. Then compare the differences between each user profile to give an indication of what you might need to change in the old one. Also, updating from a TTY (after logging out) might be advisable in this instance. Please see posts above that describe why and how. Cheers.

Not true.
There was at least one example of a repo package that was missed the other day.
And in any case. You can only build foreign packages.
So the extra ‘foreign’ flag wont necessarily always have an effect. But if it does, it will be to give more correct output.